Chapter 19 - Ana

Magsimula sa umpisa

"That could work," Grace said, her eyes wide as she considered it.

"If there was a Ferris Wheel, you could sell off the carriages to watch the fireworks," Mia chipped in. "That would be so romantic!" Carrick looked as though he might be about to disagree when Christian spoke up.

"I agree, Mia. I think many people wanting to romance their partner would pay a premium for that." His eyes met mine as he said that, and I tentatively responded to his smile with my own. "I know I would."

"We do need to engage younger patrons," Grace admitted, mulling it over. "We have the grandparents and older parents, yet we're failing to attract the next generation."

I had thoughts about this. Not every successful young person would have been born into money. Being invited to a thousand-dollar a plate social event might intimidate anyone not accustomed to that lifestyle, even if they could afford it.

"You could make it a family event. Start it late afternoon for people with kids, then later make it more adult?" Elliot suggested fishing the last three pancakes from the central platter. He'd had at least nine since I arrived at the table, and I honestly wondered where he put them!

"We'll need to run the numbers... It's definitely worth considering." Grace seemed pleased with my idea, so I sat back in my chair, breathing a sigh of relief.

"It all sounds great," Mia said, yawning and rolling her shoulders. "I promised Lily I'd go out with her tonight, so unless you need me, I'm off for a nap now. If you're not here when I wake up, I'll see you soon," she promised, smiling at her brothers and then me before disappearing upstairs.

"I suppose I should go check on the pack up outside," Grace said, shooting a meaningful look at Elliot. Undoubtedly the most practical of her children, I suspected helping with these sorts of tasks fell to him, and this was his clue to get with it.

"Actually, if the three of you have time, I need to speak with you. This is not something I want Mia to know about, so while she sleeps is an ideal opportunity."

Grace pulled up short, as did Carrick.

"Is everything ok?" Elliot asked, looking at his brother and not even trying to conceal his concern.

"No, it isn't. It hasn't been for a long time."

Seated in the front living room, the same one where I first met Christian's family, we took the loveseat

"This is going to be hard for me. Having Anastasia close will help. She already knows everything I'm going to tell you, so don't worry about that."

Carrick's expression was cautious. Guarded. Grace looked confused. Elliot stared at his brother with sadness. I don't think he had a clue what he was about to hear. Nonetheless, he'd divined it wasn't something positive. As they prepared themselves, Christian pulled me close beside him, wrapping me up in his arms.