15: Fare Well

Depuis le début

Eventually, she found the courage to look into his eyes, bracing herself for the sorrow and pain awaiting her there. But when she did, she saw that there was more than that. Sadness, yes—but also a form of quiet acceptance. A gladness for all the things that were, instead of longing for all that could be.

"Well," he smiled, "at least we have today."

***

 Ina was not used to beds that didn't creak. So when she flopped onto the enormous four-poster bed in her room and it didn't make a sound, she was pleasantly surprised.

The room was lush, and exceedingly so—the Telmarine royals loved decorating. Ina's eyes roamed over the rich curtains approvingly, noting the brass candelabras, glossy wainscoting, a wardrobe so large she could walk into it—like the one Peter told her about. And her favourite, the sturdy mahogany table at the end of her room, upon which were laid more fruits and cheese and wine than she'd ever seen.

Of course, the food was her favourite, not the table.

The room itself was assigned by Caspian, who insisted that the Narnians and herself were given the best of all guest rooms. He'd wasted no time putting his house back in order; already his uncle's colours were replaced with his own, the bright purple and gold banners flying from every flagpole in the citadel. Ina was relieved to see that though Caspian was young for a king, his advisors and staff—loyal, faithful people they were—had accepted him as their leader as soon as he returned.

But even as Ina lay there, surrounded by friends and comfort, she knew there would always be a hole in her heart that was not quite filled, a nagging feeling of discontent.

"My lady."

She scrambled up, reaching for the hilt of her sword, but it wasn't there. She wasn't at war anymore, she reminded herself, and there was no need for weapons. No need for battle.

She took a deep breath.

The two petite faces that greeted her looked surprised, but they quickly schooled their features into calm smiles. Ina had been buried too deep in the comfort of her bed to hear the servant girls enter. They made a slight curtsy now, heads bowed in perfect etiquette.

"Can I help you?" Ina asked.

"His Highness has ordered your servants to help you dress," one of them said, gesturing at the gown that hung from the dressing screens. "For the ball tonight, my lady."

"Oh, him!" Ina harrumphed. "He's only been back a day, and already he's bossing you around." She crossed the room and linked arms with them. "It's all right, girls, I prefer to dress myself."

"But my lady!" The girls looked appalled. "It's an order from the king!"

She clicked her tongue impishly. "Pay him no mind."

"Disobeying the king's orders?" said a voice from behind. "I hope you're not planning a rebellion."

Ina had never seen Edmund so finely dressed. He wore a fitted jacket held together by jewelled buttons, the midnight blue velvet woven with silver motifs. There was a healthy glow in his cheeks, the kind that was robbed by worries and war. She could tell he even made the effort to comb his hair, though she liked it better messy.

She stammered, "I... I thought..."

"That I was Caspian?" He supplied, a faint smirk playing on his lips. Then he dipped his head at the girls and said kindly, "Thank you." They left in a swirl of curtsies and murmurs.

Ina narrowed her eyes at him. "You're king of Narnia, not Telmar," she said lightly.

"So you keep reminding me." Edmund sauntered into the room. "But thanks to Caspian, the two are united now."