7: Before They Strike

Start from the beginning

With that, the Pevensies followed Peter out of the training area, gathering the Narnians as they went. Ina saw that Caspian's gaze lingered on Susan; she thought she saw the Queen glance back at him shyly.

"Keep your eyes to yourself." Ina shoved him playfully. But that didn't make him grin as she'd expected. "They're quite something, aren't they?"

"They're children," he said evenly.

"We're children, too," she reminded him. Then she moved to block his path, forcing him to look her in the eye. "What is this, Caspian? You're not upset because they're children."

"I'm not upset at all."

"You're jealous." She knew she was right when Caspian's eyes flashed, his nostrils flaring in frustration. "Why?"

"Because they appear out of nowhere, and suddenly Peter's in charge and everyone likes him, even you!" he burst, his breathing ragged, and looked around anxiously. But most of the Narnians had already left for the Stone Table, and those who remained did not seem to hear.

"It's like... It's like what I've done doesn't matter." Caspian leaned against the wall, suddenly looking very weary, and Ina was reminded that he was still a boy, only a year older than herself. Once the façade of self-assurance crumbled, she saw herself mirrored in him: that same, unfulfilled desire to belong.

Silence crept around them, neither knowing what to say. Then, Ina murmured, "We're Telmarines, Caspian. We'll always have to earn our place." He was still staring at nothingness. "And if it makes you feel better, I'm not here because of the kings and queens."

"No. You're here for the gold."

Ina couldn't help herself: she flinched. She knew Caspian wasn't wrong, but she would've liked him to think more highly of her, to have seen her loyalty and honour, however scarce they may be.

But no. She was still just a greedy little thief in his sight.

To his credit, Caspian noticed the shift in her expression and said, "I'm sorry." But Ina had no need for empty apologies. "I didn't mean that," he repeated, and caught her arm.

Fluidly, she shrugged out of his grasp. "I have risked my life for you, Caspian. Multiple times. And so have these people." She fixed him with a challenging stare. "Think on that the next time you doubt our loyalties."

And before Caspian could say another word, Ina stormed away, glad he couldn't see her blinking moisture out of her eyes. 

***

When Peter said 'everyone', he meant it.

From the largest giant to the smallest squirrel, the Narnians gathered around the Stone Table, which was a large platform of rock parted unevenly in the middle. It was said that the Table broke when Aslan sacrificed himself on it for Edmund, who had betrayed the Narnians more than a hundred years ago. They said Aslan rose from the dead, but Ina found that hard to believe, especially since no one has seen him for more than a century.

Right in the center of the circle stood Peter, imposing despite being neither the oldest nor tallest in the room. Ina saw that his expression shifted when there were more eyes on him, assuming the form of a cool, majestic king. His voice was clear when he spoke.

"Miraz's men and war machines are on their way." He paused, and she had to admit that the effect he created was powerful. Already murmurs of worry were rising among the Narnians, but they were hushed as soon as Peter straightened.

"That means those same men aren't protecting his castle."

Reepicheep piped up. "What do you propose we do, Your Majesty?"