1: Into the Woods

Start from the beginning

Suddenly, horseshoes thundered against pavement; Ina's head swung to the source.

A black steed was galloping through the streets, its rider well-armed and trained. A soldier, Ina thought, and a trill of fear ran through her bones. She had not committed any crimes worth having a soldier chase after her in the middle of the night, but Ina's record wasn't exactly clean, either. Besides, how would a homeless young woman explain a pouch full of gold without spending a few nights in jail? Ina would not risk it.

And so she fled.

The stranger was right on her tail, a more experienced rider than she is. Ina cursed under her breath, and dug her ankles into Bree's stomach. I'll give you some apples later, she apologised silently. But for now, there would be no slowing down. Not until she reached the woods, where no Telmarine would dare trod.

Well, no Telmarine but her.

A loud boom pealed through the night, and Ina saw the sky light up with red and blue, green and gold. Fireworks. So there was a celebration, after all. She heard the stranger slow down behind her. Pausing to admire the spectacle, perhaps? As much as Ina was puzzled, she kept up her pace. The stranger might not be after her, but she was keen to get out of the citadel. The sooner, the better.

A palace crier's voice cut through the commotion; Ina had to admire his lungs.

"A son! A son! Lady Prunaprismia has given birth to a son!"

So that was the child everyone was talking about, Ina thought as she bolted past the gates, crossing the plains to head for the strip of darkness between sky and land. Normally, she wouldn't have taken such an uncovered path—the watchmen would be sure to see her heading into the woods every night, and found it suspicious. But there were no guards on the fort tonight, and even if there were, their attention would be on the celebration.

To her dismay, she soon heard the stranger galloping after her, not quite near enough for her to glimpse his face, but not far enough for her to lose him. Ina murmured to Bree, and the steed dashed forwards, diving headlong into the abundant woods without hesitation.

But so did the stranger. Surely, no Telmarine has braved the woods ever since—well, ever since Ina could remember. And yet here he was, charging through the trees as if he too, like Ina, had been doing this every day. Fear seized her heart and her palms slicked the reins with sweat. Who was this man who would stop at nothing to get to her? And what had she done besides pocket a few coins?

"Hey!" She heard him yell over the wind whipping in her ears. "HEY!"

Like hell was she going to stop.

The trees did not seem like shelter now. They were large shapes towering over Ina and Bree, as dark and ominous as the sharp spires of the palace. Just as their blackness threatened to close in on her, Bree leaped into the open, where beyond them lay the river. Moonlight washed over Ina, momentarily lifting her fear. But it returned shortly after she heard the stranger's horse hooves beat against gravel.

"STOP!" he shouted again. This time, he sounded further away, and Ina, her steed already wading through the water, craned her neck to look at him.

She expected to see him with a crossbow trained at her, and was about to curse herself for her foolishness—but the man had raised no weapon. "Please!" he cried again.

Well, at least this pursuer was polite, Ina thought. That didn't mean she was going to do as he asked.

Soon, the stranger's horse was wading through the water as well, and Ina had to applaud his determination. She had also begun to worry that she might never lose him. But the thought was cut off by the sound of many horses neighing.