1. When I was your man

This prompt is going to be based off of When I Was Your Man by Bruno Mars, and me making the lyrics fit with a Motough storyline. I was inspired to do a prompt like this after reading @facelesswonders prompt for the song Truly Madly Deeply. If you haven't read her work you should definitely go read her prompts and comment an idea if you have one. She brought my idea for another prompt like this to Matt McAndrew's Wasted Love to life beautifully.

—————————————————————-

Same bed but it feels just a little bit bigger now

Our song on the radio but it don't sound the same

When our friends talk about you, all it does is just tear me down

'Cause my heart breaks a little when I hear your name

He was splayed out over his bed staring intently at the ceiling, thinking about how badly he wished she was there to fill the empty space beside him. The king sized bed had never felt too big before. It was just the right size for lazy days, peaceful nights, and early morning kisses. But that was before Beth, and the bright light she brought with her, had left his life.                                                              

   Derek was abruptly yanked from his thoughts at the song change on the small radio on his desk. The sound quality was poor from the many times that Derek or Mark had bumped into it on their way to or from the room, but he could recognize the song playing in a heartbeat. As the opening chords of Jessie Ware's Say You Love Me filled his room, Derek could feel his thoughts drifting to that morning, when what was left of his broken heart had shattered.

He woke up to the sound of Mark and Witney's voices blending together, which was not an uncommon sound considering how loudly they both talked. What was surprising was the topic of conversation, which he could clearly hear after cracking his door open and eavesdropping.

"Well what am I supposed to do, huh? I'm not going to lie to him". Derek could make out Mark pacing back and forth, a nervous habit that he had never managed to break. "Not telling him isn't lying Mark. Besides, Derek was the one who ended things, not Beth." Witney sighed. "That doesn't mean he doesn't still love her. You can't seriously tell me you think he's not going to care that she met someone. That we're going to be double dating with the woman he loves and her new man."

He slowly leaned away from the door, quietly shut it, and tried to wrap his head around what he had just heard. Beth was with someone. The thought of someone else's hands touchings her, someone else being the reason for her adorable smile and sweet giggles made him feel light-headed and slightly queasy.

It all just sounds like oooooh...

Mmm, too young, too dumb to realize

That I should've bought you flowers

And held your hand

Should've gave you all my hours

When I had the chance

Take you to every party

'Cause all you wanted to do was dance

Now my baby's dancing

But she's dancing with another man

How could he have been so stupid. She had never asked for a big commitment or a label for what they had together. All she had ever wanted was for him to be there, and he couldn't even manage that. Any chance he had to win her back might as well have drifted away like the bubbles she would insist on blowing when she was upset. Now she was probably off looking at her new man the way she used to look at him.

My pride, my ego, my needs, and my selfish ways

Caused a good strong woman like you to walk out my life

Now I never, never get to clean up the mess I made, ohh...

And it haunts me every time I close my eyes

He knew he would be breaking her heart when he chose Nina over her, but somehow he had convinced himself that it was okay, because she would get over it. And she had. The way he had cast aside the love his life for a relationship that crashed and burned before it even got off the ground played in his mind like a horror movie every time he shut his eyes.

I hope he buys you flowers

I hope he holds your hand

Give you all his hours

When he has the chance

Take you to every party

'Cause I remember how much you loved to dance

Do all the things I should have done

When I was your man

Do all the things I should have done

When I was your man

As he laid back down in his bed, all he could think about was Beth, his Beth, somewhere off in the city with someone she loved the way she had once loved Derek. It hurt to know he couldn't take back what had happened, but he hoped with everything he had that this new man wouldn't make the same mistakes that he had, and would realize how spectacular the woman he held in his arms truly was.