February 2021 - arpeggio-

WattpadDarkFantasy brings to you another interview. We present to you arpeggio- , the author of Song of Mist and Storm.

Dark Fantasy Team: Can you tell us a little bit about it and your Wattpad journey?

Arpeggio-: I started writing on Wattpad in 2015, after a friend recommended it to me. I wrote fan fiction for a long while, which was a surprisingly good way to rack up experience and feedback about how unconventional my storytelling was. It was a hesitant process, but in 2016 to 2017 I ventured into creating original stories. And it turned out to be a good decision.

DF: What was your inspiration for your story?

A: Song of Mist and Storm was known as The Dream Weaver in its original draft — and I suppose that it gave the premise away right off of the bat: a dreamcatcher that has the ability to create dreams, not only contain them. I doubt that I had a solid inspiration for the story itself, but I remember pouring hours into the book covers, imagining its fantastical worlds simply from the pictures I used.

DF: What was it like building a world around dark fantasy?

A: I knew right from the get go that the story would gravitate towards dark fantasy — the characters were complex, traumatised and searching for voids to fill and the will to live. All of those being really heavy topics. I think that as a naturally broody and pessimistic person it was relatively easy to conjure worlds wrought by destruction and devastation ( I know that sounds bad but I assure you it's a necessity ). But even with that darkness, there was another kind I wanted to write about that explored the forbidden, tempting and alluring side.

DF: Have you written in this genre before? What drew you to it?

A: This would actually be my first proper venture into dark fantasy — my first novel is more paranormal. I suppose I wanted to try my hand at it after reading so many books in the dark fantasy genre.

DF: Can you tell us a little bit about your leading character(s)?

A: The main character in Song of Mist and Storm is the headstrong but compassionate Purple — a gender fluid and gender-shifting Dreamcatcher who finds themselves struggling to piece together their livelihood after a world-shaking war. I love writing about them simply for the exploration of a being trying to understand the human psyche and not lose themselves in feeling complex emotions.

Adam is an arrogant but tortured human soldier looking to make sense of life after the loss of his family — and discover if he even wishes to live at all. He can be insufferable at times, but he is unflinching in the face of danger and very protective.

I have big future plans for the last main character, Georgia. She has her own trauma and nightmares — things she would rather bury than ever face. As the youngest human in the story, she's childish and opinionated — she has a long way to go before she is ready to embrace her very imperative destiny.

DF: What are some things that you find more interesting to write in dark fantasy than other genres?

A: I like the free reign granted in unapologetically writing about the underlying realities in our own world — to amplify them and morph them into powerful takeaway messages.

DF: What are some books that influenced your writing and maybe yourself as a writer?

A: Every single one of Sarah J. Maas' books — I absolutely adore her writing. Books that are biting, action-packed with dazzlingly glorious worlds. More broadly, I would include the Percy Jackson series and The Cruel Prince.

DF: What are three magic items you would have with you on a deserted island?

A: I had to think about this very carefully, but I think I'll settle for a bag of never ending food; a distillation stone; and a light beacon.

DF: What are some goals you look to accomplish in the future? Whether it's on Wattpad or in general.

A: With my first self-published novel hopefully out on bookshelves in the coming month, I'm honestly hoping for more exposure and a traditional publishing offer. On Wattpad, I may be pushing my luck, but I still dream of becoming a Wattpad Star.

The WattpadDarkFantasy team would like to thank arpeggio- for agreeing to the interview and providing us some more insight on their story, Song of Mist and Storm! Be sure to check it out and support the author!

- The Dark Fantasy Team