Live, Love, Learn

Start from the beginning

"I know," I said, watching my breath rise up like smoke. "I shouldn't complain. You probably had it worse."

"Not exactly. I would say just amplified."

"How so?" I questioned. Then a snowball hit me in the face. "KAZAKHSTAN!"

"Yes?" He peeped over his wall of snow. He was trying not to laugh.

"Don't throw snow in my face! Anywhere but my face!"

"That's exactly where he'll try to hit you." Germany laughed. "But on our conversation, my father would always be either edgy, angry or too loving. The whole day he would be gone, and he would come late at night. Sometimes, he'd yell at me for staying up so long, but then he would go to sleep with me. In the morning, he would be gone already, and the cycle goes like that. Kind of boring."

"Did you travel a lot?"

"Sometimes," he thought for a moment. "Yes. We did. My dad did his campaigns all over and he would take me and my tutor along. Sometimes not and I would stay with my really old great grandfather. He's actually still alive, but doesn't talk to us much."

"Oh, that's kind of sad."

"Don't be sad, Russia," he turned to me, his amber coloured eyes sympathetic. "I love your family. With its quirks and strangeness. It feels like a real one. Mine felt artificial and fragile. Yours is much like an iron chain. You may rust over, but it can always be removed. Just my opinion."

I took his hands in mine. "Thank you. I never really saw it that way." Our moment was spectacularly ruined by two snowballs that flew into our faces.

"KAZAKHSTAN!" We both yelled in shock and laughter.

"Kazakhstan won!" He came out of his snow wall and came up to us. "Can we go walk?"

"Sure," I said, wiping the snow off of my face. Germany tucked his glasses into his pocket, since there was no effective way to dry them off. We walked along the path with Kazakhstan flying above the treetops.

"Wouldn't it be great to fly?" Germany wished aloud watching Kazakhstan in-flight.

"No. Not really." I responded. "The time involving preening, washing and trimming would drive me mad. And also I would have to cut holes in the clothing for them. Let's not forget when Kazakhstan had some sort of wing infection and he had to have four injections. That must've been fun."

"Mm, never mind. That does sound like much." He nodded in agreement.

"It's a lot of responsibility. He has to do it all by himself. Sometimes I help him with preening, but mostly it's like a one man show."

"Russia..." Germany was about to say the words I've heard many times.

"Yes, yes. I know," I sighed. "I'm bad at comparing." He laughed and we both got smothered in a blanket of snow from a pine tree.

"KAZAKHSTAN!" I yelled again, frustrated from the amount of snow that went under my hood and onto my skin. Up above, my little brother was giggling from happiness and way out of reach.

"How do we got him down?" Germany asked. "See, that's a plus he has."

"Don't worry. We'll use the old fashioned method." I whistled. "Kazakhstan! Guess what?" I tried to make my voice high pitched and scared. It got his attention, and he flew nearer.

"What?"

"I think I saw бабай!" I looked over to see Germany trying to suppress an involuntary smile. "Over there." The effect was magical. Kazakhstan zoomed down and wrapped his arms around mine, his eyes wide and scared.