death in the cell

Start from the beginning

I stumble back, hands over my face. "God!"

"Goddamn crazy kid." Garcia mumbles.

"Grab his back would ya?"

"Got it."

"Lower him." My dad says, placing Tod on the ground.

He takes his pulse before looking up at me. I knew it wasn't a good sign. I laugh in disbelief, tears filling my eyes.

______

I was sat next to Glen at the funeral. Listening to the words that were being spoken.

"Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. May god be with this young man's soul. His life and his death attest to the scripture's warning that he who lives by the sword shall die by the sword. But let us recall also our Lord's admonition, that we judge not, lest we be judged. And may Tod Gates rest in peace."

I sit on the Church stairs as my mother approaches. "Time to go, honey."

I stand up and follow her to the car. "Hop in." She says, opening the door.

Before I climb in I decide to say something. "The killer's still loose, you know."

"You're saying somebody else killed Libby. Who?" My father asks.

I look down. "I don't know who he is but he's burned and he wears a weird hat and a red and green sweater, really dirty and he uses these knives like giant fingernails." He carefully pushes me into the car, shutting the door behind me.

I saw my dad turn to my mom. "Better keep her home for a few days, until she gets over the shock of this."

My mother shakes her head. "I've got something better. I'm going to get her some help."

And with that, my mom steps into the car, putting it in gear before driving away. I look out at my dad until he's out of sight.

______

A nurse applies sensors to my face. I'm lying on a simple broad cot, in my pyjamas. The room is subdued in color and holds only this single bed. A large mirror set into one wall hides an observation room beyond.

"I don't see why you couldn't just give me a pill to keep me from dreaming." I say.

"Everyone's got to dream, young lady." A doctor pipes up. "If you dont dream, you go-" He then made a spinning motion with his finger. I take the hint.

"Okay, all set?"

"No." I gasp.

My mother joins my side. "Please Nicole, trust us."

"It's not you I don't trust....it's just." I lay back. "Okay." I sigh. "Let's do it."

My mother turns to the nurse to thank her, getting a small "mhm" in reply.

Greatly relieved, my mom gives me a goodnight kiss, then follows the doctor through a doorway near the mirror. As soon as she's out of sight, my eyes drift to the mirror itself. In its reflection I see myself looking back, alone on the bed.