↳ CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

ابدأ من البداية

"My lord, there is someone who'd like to see you." Glozelle spoke, walking into the tent. "Very well, let them in." Miraz rolled his eyes.

The tent opened and in walked someone she definitely did not expect. Edmund. She leaned up from her chair and she saw Edmund glance towards her, giving her an awkward smile.

He unrolled the parchment he was holding and began to read. "I, Peter, by the gift of Aslan, by election and conquest, high king of Narnia, lord of Cair Paravel and emperor of the Lone Islands, in order to prevent the abominable effusion of blood, to hereby challenge the usurper Miraz to single combat upon the field of battle. The fight shall be to the death. The reward will be total surrender and setting High Queen Emily, the Loyal free."

"Tell me, Prince Edmund--" Miraz started. "King." Edmund corrected, rolling up the parchment. "Pardon me?" Miraz asked.

"It's King Edmund actually. Just king though. Peter is the high king. I know, it's confusing." Emily smirked, trying to hold in her laugh. Miraz noticed this and began interrogating him.

"Why would we risk such a proposal when our armies could wipe you out by nightfall?" Miraz asked. "Haven't you already underestimated our numbers? I mean, only a week ago, Narnians were extinct." Edmund added. As Edmund was speaking, Miraz's hand made its way to Emily thigh again, making Emily jump slightly and widened her eyes. Shit, what am I going to do?

"And so you will be again." Miraz snapped. His finger slowly stroked Emily thigh and slowly made its way up her thigh. She saw Edmund glance at her and she mouthed 'Help me'

"Well, then you should have little to fear." she could sense the panic in Edmund's voice. "This is not a question of bravery." Miraz laughed.

"So you're bravely refusing to fight a swordsman half your age?" Emily could see the smirk growing on his face. "I didn't say I refused."

"You should have our support, Your Majesty. Whatever your decision." A lord spoke up. "Sire, our military advantage alone provides a perfect excuse to avoid..." Lord Sopespian gestures to Edmund. Miraz stood up from his seat angrily, grabbing his sword and almost hitting Emily across the head. "I'm not avoiding anything!"

She glanced towards Edmund, mouthing a 'thank you' to which he gave a small nod in response. "May I have a say in this conversation?" Emily spoke up. Miraz just leant back in his chair and let her speak, suprisingly.

"If High King Peter wins the battle, you have to let me go and if you win, you can-" she paused, thinking for a moment.

Edmund is gonna hate me for this. "You can take me for as long as you'd like" She finished not daring to look at Edmund to see his reaction. Edmund glanced towards Emily, who was avoiding eye contact with him and then at Miraz who was pondering the deal.

Miraz thought for a moment, putting his finger under his chin. He then picked up the sword in front of him and pointed at Edmund.

"You. You better hope your brother's sword is sharper than his pen." Miraz said. "Escort him out, General."

"Right away, my lord." the general nodded, before turning to lead Edmund out of the tent. "Sir, please let me talk to him, for just a second. I promise I wont tell him any of your plans or secrets." Emily begged him, needing to speak to him before he could be gone forever.