"Well, look what we have here," Shadis looked Amelia up and down. He didn't seem impressed. "Has it been a year already?"

Amelia instantly saluted him. "It looks that way, sir!"

"What is your name, recruit?" Shadis asked her.

"Amelia Delaney from the Underground District, sir!" She answered without looking him in the eye.

"Are you here to follow in your dear old mother's footsteps?"

"No, sir," Amelia stiffened. "I intend to lend my strength and heart to humanity in my own regard!"

"I see," Shadis looked down at her for a moment before turning to continue. "Let's hope you carry a little more self restraint."

"Let's, sir." Amelia responded to him, and he paused midstep whilst walking away. He remained still just long enough for Amelia to think he may turn around again, and exhaled soundlessly in relief when he chose to leave her be.

She could feel the stare of a few soldiers on her back as she stood there, and remembered Marco's words in regards to being a well known soldier's daughter. She had hoped that nobody would pay any mind to it, but she knew from then on that that wouldn't be the case.

Activities after role call consisted of introductory lessons in basic hand-to-hand combat, indoor classes regarding the dos-and-don'ts of ODM gear, and a rundown of what the new 104th Cadet Core were to expect during their first three months of training. All in all, Amelia found nothing to be concerned over thus far, and quietly followed along the other girls of her class to the lady's barracks. Minimal chatter circulated among their small group, and once they came upon the building in which they would be living in for the next three years, a table with bags of their personal belongings — of which they turned in before role call — could be seen set up a few feet from the steps leading up the porch.

Amelia followed under the lead of the other girls, and quickly snatched up her satchel once confirming it was her via the name tag tied to the strap. She scurried up the steps of the barrack, and quickly surveyed the assortment of bunkbeds that awaited her. Other girls flooded in passed her, and on a whim, she side stepped to the nearest bed and tossed her bag onto the mattress.

As she unpacked her day-to-day attire, her attention was captured quickly by a blonde girl that had claimed the bed above hers. Her hair was tied in a knot at the back of her head, and side swept bangs covered the right side of her face. She wore a plain white hoodie underneath her uniform, and the crisp blue color of her eyes made a cold chill run down Amelia's spine.

"Is this bunk taken?" The nameless girl asked, motioning to the bed above her's. She didn't appear to notice Amelia's blatant stare.

"U-uh," Amelia blinked. "No! No, it's not. You can take it."

The blonde neglected to say anything further, and Amelia watched as she tossed her duffel bag up onto the bed. As she climbed the ladder, Amelia leaned back to catch her eye again.

"I'm Amelia." She said lamely, and withered a bit at the sound of her own voice. The girl paused in her climb to offer an uninterested glance.

"Annie." The blonde responded blandly without another word.

Amelia's brow narrowed only an inch, and when she went to open her mouth to say something else, the sensation of being shoved forward sealed her lips shut again.

She caught herself on the balls of her hands upon the mattress just before her head could hit the wall, and let out a surprised yelp at the sudden force. The motion against the bed frame caught Annie's attention enough to look down, and when Amelia turned to see what had knocked her over, she came to see a tall girl with dark brown hair looking back at her from over her shoulder.