Alohomora Always Works (part 1)

Zacznij od początku

"Well, I was doing some reading on potion ingredients, and I was curious about a certain ingredient I found out about," I started, eyeing him to see if he was listening to what I was saying. He looked mildly interested in what I had to say at best, but I continued with my bluff.

"See, I noticed Potter's use of gilly weed during last years tournament, and I was wondering if you could tell me more about it's magical properties?" As I spoke, I did my best to make my face seem as innocent as possible. At the mention of Potter, Snape's eyes seemed to narrow. As he began to answer my question about the gilly weed, I snuck a few glances at the shelves in his office. My eyes searched for labels that read pearl dust, or moonstone powder.

"Ahem, Ms. Parkinson. You would think that you would want to pay attention to the answer to your own question, would you not?" My eyes snapped back towards him, and I nodded vigorously, plastering an earnest expression on my face. This time, as he drawled on and on about the different uses and properties of gilly weed, I remembered to nod my head every few seconds as I searched.

I almost jumped out of my seat in triumph when I spotted a very small, very dusty jar practically hiding behind a larger one in the corner of one of the shelves. I had to squint to read the words on the label, as it was written in Snape's small and cramped writing, but I was sure it read Pearl Dust. Mentally patting myself on the back for having the brilliant idea of checking Snape's personal store, I once again plastered a grateful smile on my face and nodded as he continued to speak. Honestly, how much was there to say about magical seaweed?

By the time he finally finished what he was saying, I was already halfway out the door. I hastily called out my thanks as I briskly walked the cool hallway, a plan forming in my mind, a plan to steal the pearl dust from Snape's office without his noticing...

...

I was the first to arrive at the library, desperate to get my hands on Most Potente Potions. I had entered, my eyes searching for Granger, when I realized that I was about 20 minutes early. It was early October, and the sunlight lasted for less and less time every day. I slid into a seat at our usual table and rested my chin on my palm, gazing out of the window. I watched as the Ravenclaw quidditch team practiced, the mini quidditch players outlined against the pale pink sky as they flew. I sat there, mesmerized by their sweeping movements. From this distance, they resembled small, annoying bugs.

"Hello." I nearly jumped out of my chair, I had forgotten where I was for a second, and I had been startled by Grangers shy greeting. While I had been spaced out, she had seated herself next to me, and was now placing a large stack of books on our table. I could feel something different about her demeanor. Her usual confident way of carrying herself had been replaced by a smaller, more cautious version of herself.

The sound of Granger's voice triggered the memory of last night, when she had pinned me up against the wall in anger, and... And what? I hadn't let myself think about what might've happened if Granger hadn't broke away. What had she intended to do? I felt my face heat and cursed myself for letting my mind wander. Gathering myself and forcing myself to make awkward eye contact with Granger, I flashed her a tight smile.

"Hi." I answered, planning to simply ignore Granger and pour over Most Potente Potions for the umpteenth time. I reached for the book, my finger tips tingling with the excitement of being reunited with the thing, when Granger opened her mouth to say more.

"Um. Pansy," My gaze fell on her as she continued to speak, and I couldn't help but notice how the sunset outside caused her cheeks to look rosy and flushed, causing her skin to glow ever so slightly. "I- I wanted to thank you, you know, for actually coming today." Her voice cracked on the word thank, as if even she knew how ridiculous she sounded. I scoffed at this. Wasn't I the only person who benefitted from our meetings? Was I not the one who had lost my book to Draco's suffocating concern? Granger didn't benefit from our meetings at all, and I couldn't understand why she had thanked me. Granger was looking at me expectantly, tucking a section of her frizzy unkempt hair behind her ear, waiting for a response.