'Di, you heard that lawyer. He made a new will a month before he died. That is the latest will.'

'Arnav, dad's mental condition deteriorated over the last year. How is it possible for him to make a decision like this?'

'Di,' Arnav was strangely surprised with Anjali 's behaviour. 'Dad left his house to Shyam. So what's the big deal? You both took care of him during his final days. So now the house belongs to you both.'

'Not both,' Anjali said sharply. 'It belongs to Shyam.'

'I can't believe this,' he groaned. 'So you are also one of those couples who run separated finances.' This was exactly what he was trying to explain to Khushi.

'I wish.' Anjali folded her hands looking at the floor.

'What do you mean Di?' Arnav leaned forward curiously.

'I run his finances most of the time,' she said in a rush. 'He is always in need of money as he claims to be investing in some scheme or the other. I gave him money from what nanaji left for me. I think he has borrowed from many people as well. I have no idea where all the money goes.'

'F#$%!' Arnav exclaimed. 'I could never have guessed.'

'No one does actually,' she said quietly. 'But I am a psychologist and I have analysed his behaviour pattern. '

'He appears very well mannered and calm. But internally he is very restless. He is manipulative, lacks integrity at work and has an inferiority complex about his middle class upbringing. I think the root cause might be a troubled childhood.'

'What the f@#$!' Arnav was astounded by Anjali 's revelations. 'Why are you still putting up with all this crap? You should have left him long time ago. Sometimes mistakes happen when you chose a life partner. You can correct it now.'

'I didn't choose him Arnav,' Anjali said quietly. 'Mom did.'

'How is that possible Di?' Arnav's eyebrows snapped together in confusion. 'You know how class conscious she was? I thought you had chosen him just to spite mom.'

'I was surprised too Arnav, but there was no way I could have asked her about it.'

Anjali began reminiscing about events that had occurred during the time starting with their Nanajj's demise to finally when he had taken their mom leaving her behind.

Arnav raked a hand through his hair. 'I wish I had been there for you Di.'

'I wish I was there for you too.' When Arnav looked up at her in surprise, Anjali said, 'You hadn't been yourself since Khushi left. But you wouldn't let anyone near you. You had completely closed up.'

Arnav explained to his sister what had happened between him and Khushi all those years ago.

'Nani and I knew there was something between you two!' Anjali said emphatically. 'But I can't believe she would have left you for her career. Khushi doesn't seem that type.'

'It doesn't matter anymore Di,' Arnav said taking a deep breath. 'It's all behind me now. Khushi and I have started afresh.

'Since I came back and saw how much Khushi has accomplished in her life, I realized that the decision she took at the time was the right one. She was just 18 years old at the time Di. What is wrong in thinking about your career? It was exactly around that age when I went to the US to complete my graduation. I left my family behind didn't I?

'What if she had just settled down into a life of domesticity with me? Would she have been happy?'

Anjali got up from her seat and went up to sit next to him. She touched a hand to his cheek. 'Yes Arnav, she would have been. My heart says, she would have given up everything to be with you. But I also know she wouldn't have had to give up everything. You wouldn't have let her. You would have made sure she accomplishes her dreams and aspirations.'