chapter 1

I was stationed in Afghanistan, when I got a call on my satellite phone

I was stationed in Afghanistan, when I got a call on my satellite phone. 'Sergeant First Class Diaz speaking. Who am I talking to?' 'Sergeant First Class Diaz, this is Captain Nash from the Los Angeles Fire Department.' I needed to think Captain Nash, I knew this name. Oh yeah, he was the Captain from Station 118 where my husband is working. 'Hello Captain. How can I help you, did something bad happened to Eddie?' 'No, I just wanted to let you know, that he finish his test year in a week and I think he would love to have you around.' 'Like I'm coming home and surprise him?' 'Yes Mam.' 'Call me Skylar or Sky please. You're working with my husband and I hate being called Mam.' 'I will, but then please call me Bobby.' 'Ok Bobby. I'm gonna talk to my boss and let you know.' I'm looking forward to it.' 'Umm Bobby, I have one question. How is he doing? And how's Christopher?' 'I think Eddy is still fighting with some things from back out there and it's hard for him to not have you around. Christopher is a sunshine like always. Keep's his father smiling.' 'I needed to hear that. I haven't talked to him in a while.' 'He still haven't told them about you.' 'That's how Eddie is. I'm okay with that. I give him the time he need, after what happened with Shannon. As much as I would like to keep this conversation going, my unit needs to go on patrol. After that im gonna talk to my boss and call you back.' 'Sure Skylar. Be safe out there.' 'I will. Bye' I ended the phone call, put the phone back into my pocket, grab my vest, guns and helmet and meet my unit at the humvee. I put my vest and helmet on and load the guns. 'Alright everybody. Let's do this. Keep your eyes open. If you see any suspects or strange thing going on, report.' I nodded to everyone in my unit and get into the humvee.

~after the patrol

'Get some sleep guys, you look tired.' I laughed after that our group splits. I was on the way to my boss, to talk to him. 'Sergeant First Class Diaz, how can I help you?' 'Sir, I wanted to ask if I can get home?' 'Excuse me Sergeant First Class?' 'My husband finish his test year at the LAFD next week and I want to be there. I wasn't there when he graduated fire academy. I want to be there for him now.' 'How long?' 'That is another thing I would talk to you about Sir. I served this country for a long time. I want to step back from the active duty Sir. Honorable discharge or reserve Sir.' 'Sergeant First Class Diaz, you are officially a reservist. Go to your unit, say goodbye to them. You're on the next plane home.' 'Thank you so much Sir. It was a honor to work with you.' 'Sergeant First Class it was a honor working with you and your husband. I hope you are doing well and if it is okay for you I would like to stay in contact.' 'I would like that. Again, thank you so much Sir.' 'Dismiss Sergeant First Class Diaz.' Were salute both. After that, i was searching for my unit. After a while, I found them all around the campfire. 'Guys listen up. This was our last patrol together. I'm a reservist now. I am honored that I get the chance to work with you. I'm proud of you. I do this all, because of my husband and stepson. I hope you new team leader is a good one and you are all coming back home alive. Now one last salute.' The unit was facing me in a line and salute. I was facing them. I salute too. After that I go back and pack all my stuff. After that I called Bobby and yelled him that I'm gonna be home in a few days. He offered me to meet me at the airport and that I can stay with him and his wife Athena, so I can surprise Eddie at his big day. After that I called Eddie and Christopher over skype. After a few seconds I saw Christophers face. 'Hey Chris. How are you?' 'I'm good. How are you?' 'I'm good, but I miss you two. Hey is dad at home?' 'Yeah, wait. DAD, HERE'S SOMEONE ON THE PHONE FOR YOU.' he yelled through the house. 'I'm coming bud.', Eddie said, no idea it was me. 'Thanks Chris. Are you good to dad?' 'I always am, but I miss you. When are you coming home?' 'In 3 months Chris.' 'Why do you need to be gone that long? Dad came home earlier last time. Why can't you come home earlier?', he said crying. 'Hey bud, that's my job. And my job is to keep the world safe. I'm doing that for you too okay?', I said with tears rolling down my cheeks. Then Eddie came walking into the room. After he saw my face, he run to the computer. 'Hey Baby', I said. 'Mi amore', Eddie whispers 'why are you calling? Did something happened?'. 'No, I just wanted to check on you. See how my boys are doing. I miss you so much.' I said crying. 'Hey, don't cry. I miss you too, Chris miss you too.' 'I know. My deployment was extended by 2 months, so I'm not gonna make it to your becoming a real firefighter party. I'm so sorry babe.' I said. 'But I thought you boss said you can leave earlier.' 'I know baby, I know. Listen, I can probably be there through a skype call or something like this.' 'But it's bot the same.' he said. 'Yeah. Hey Baby. My unit needs to get on patrol. I love you and Christopher so much. I miss you.' I said kissing the camera. 'We love you too baby. I miss you.' 'I miss you too. Give Chris a kiss from me.' After that I ended the call and went to the airport, after I was at my unit.

――――――――――――――――――

This is my first fanfic/story, so please let me know what you think.

I'm also not a native English speaker, so please don't hate me for mistakes.