[ vii :: coffee ]

Start from the beginning

She turns, walking away. "Bye, Lucky."

But he grabs hold of her forearms and doesn't let go. "Please?" He begs, blue eyes so bright it's like staring into the sun, or something. "Please, Anais? At least let me take you for a coffee?"

"I don't know..."

He ducks his head, forcing her to meet his gaze. "Please? We can go to Nero; that place you like? I'll buy you a blueberry scone and a Cafe Mocha with soy, extra hot...?"

Damn it; her favorite.

"It's the least you can do, right?"

"Actually," she jerks from his grip, "the least I can do is nothing, Lucky."

He rushes towards her. "But, you'll think about it?"

And damn him, she nods. Anais Mali is in no way over Lucky Blue Smith.

"I'll think about it."

Lucky's face transforms.

He smiles. "Think about it, then."

"Yeah, I will."

And Lucky does something even weirder: he lunges forward and kisses her, right then and there. He plants a quick kiss on her cheek that leaves her speechless.

I mean, it's just her cheek, right? He probably thinks of her as a sister, yeah? It's a quick kiss from a friend. Louis kisses her all the time and he doesn't mean anything by it.

So, why does this feel different?

She shakes her head. "You've got a gi-"

"See you, Ana," he interjects, backpedalling down the crowded street with that smirk of his. "Don't forget to think about me."

Anais turns. She's been unconsciously thinking about Lucky for nearly the past two weeks and consciously for the past year.

So, what's changed?

He's got a girlfriend...What does he want now?

And these thoughts swirl in her mind for the first hour she's sitting in the library. She's got an essay to write, but her sketchbook is open in front of her laptop. Her thumbnail is in her mouth and she's been staring into space for the last five minutes.

It's really bothering her-Lucky's words.

"Anyone sitting here?"

Anais looks up. Zayn's standing to her left, backpack on his shoulder. He's just finished up his Calc homework and was about to head out to the art room he likes to frequent until he saw Anais.

She shakes her head, moving her bag from the chair so he can sit. "No," she replies absentmindedly. "Yeah-Go for it."

Zayn sits beside her and taps his fingers on his books.

She turns back to the essay she's not writing.

"So..." he clears his throat softly. "What'cha working on?"

Anais sighs, leaning back in her chair and running both hands through her hair. "This essay that'll never get done."

Zayn leans forward on his elbows. "That's probably not what you want to say."

She deadpans, turning the computer to face him. "I've been here for an hour. This's all I got."

Zayn reads:

Greek and Roman Mythology

Professor Poole

February 10