Chapter 1.

Gloom Pov.

"Gloom! You're back!" She lunged herself towards me. She gripped gentle hands around my waist, lifting me off my feet and onto her lap. Caressing my fur, she whispers to me "oh how I've missed you". The words are so sweet, and I feel my pounding heart start to relax.

But just as soon as it came, the feeing vanishes. I feel her body shift and I am lifted into the air once again. this time up, so we're at eye level. "... so why do you keep disappearing? You know it makes me worried, how can you be so close to it anyway?"

I can feel the hurt in her voice. She's hurting because of me. I'm sorry, Hanami. I'm so sorry. I wish it were as simple as an apology, but it's not. I made a promise and keeping it is all I can do. no matter what.

If only I could tell you. Reassure you that everything is going to be alright. But I can't. not now at least. I'll just have to wait a little while longer.

When she says "it" I know exactly what she means. I understand that she can't call it by anything else. It's too much unwanted memories that she's worked so hard to put behind her. She's moving forward and I feel so terrible with the fact that, in time, I will break it. all of it. the barrier she's created to stop the past from haunting her. This time, I just hope I can help to heal the wound it tears open in her heart.

It's painful for me too, but unlike Hanami, moving on is impossible, because it lives inside me. It keeps me going but drowns me just the same. I can't leave it behind. I carry it with me every day. It's a burden I will live with. A curse that I can't break. Not on my own anyway. Not until I've fulfilled the promise I made.

She lowers my body and releases me once my paws touch the floor. Petting my head lovingly then lifting herself up and walking through the corridor towards the kitchen. I follow her.

She turns her head back towards me, "I better get dinner started. I think we could have fish."

'yum!' I say but it comes out is "meow." As everything does when I try to speak. Even so, Hanami knows "I knew you'd like that".

It's funny how she always makes dinner for two. She treats me like I'm a person. Like I'm her brother. And I love her for that.

It makes everything a little more bearable.

I love you, Hanami. I love you so much...