Chapter 1 - be careful, dove

~Jschlatt POV~

First day of school. I would call it fun, but to be honest, I'd be lying. Really, the only good thing about school is seeing Clay. Groaning as I reach the school gates, I check the timetable I printed and head to my homeroom. When I enter the room, I see two new students at the front. Exchange, probably. I head straight to the back of the room and sit down next to Clay. "Alright, everyone! Welcome back to the only school in Florida that gets exchange students from the UK... it's Miami High School." I smile. We definitely got lucky getting Mr Gray. The first new student gets up to introduce himself. Cyan hair, a frog pin on his shirt, and a shirt that reads "Let's get one thing straight. I'm not," he's obviously going to fit in with Lauren's group. Sure enough, when he finishes his introduction, he sits down with them and starts chatting with Kassie. Wonder if they've met before? The second boy steps forward. Yellow sweater, red beanie, white wings, curly brown hair and molten brown eyes... fuck. I was in love. But what I didn't see deep in those chocolatey eyes was that he might someday come to love me back.

"Schlatt?" Quackity's voice drags me back into the present. "You there, man?"
"Yeah, why?"
"You were zoning out. Big time. Anyway, what I was saying was that Dream's new song dropped an hour ago, wanna make fun of it?"
"Absolutely I do." Alex quickly navigates to the song and hits play.

"People change like the tides in the ocean.
At least I think or am I dead wrong?
Foot on the brakes at the light, I don't notice.
I sit and wait 'till the next song.

Twenty hours in an old van,
Up the east coast through the cold wind,
Drove twenty hours by the ocean,
Up the east coast, what a road trip."

"Give me a second." Leaving the call, my mind switches into overdrive. Navigating to YouTube, I listen to his song all the way through. One line is really sticking with me though. "For a minute, we was cool / Then we flew just a little too close to the sun. A vivid memory fills my mind.

My boyfriend's phone's text tone sounds. He looks at the text and groans comically. "What is it, Will?"
"My brother sent me an e-book copy of the story of Icarius and then said 'be careful, dove.' He's a pink robin hybrid, he can't talk!"
"Wait, your brother's a hybrid too?" I don't blame Clay for being intrigued. Hybrids are pretty rare here, after all.
"My entire family are hybrids. My dad's a sulphur-crested cockatoo hybrid, Thomas is a cardinal hybrid, Dave's a pink robin hybrid, and I'm a dove hybrid. I think hybrids are a more common thing in Europe, but there are two US-born hybrids in our class, so they aren't too rare here." He's got a point. Why does Roadtrip sound so much like it's about me and Will? My thoughts are interrupted by a message from Phil. You might want want to get on the SMP or else you're gonna do a George and miss a major event. Sighing, I log onto the Dream SMP and join VC 2.

"Am I really the only hybrid on the server?" Fundy sounds unimpressed.
"Phil, when I joined this call I was under the impression that something important was happening, not whatever this is. Also, Fundy, I'm a ram hybrid, so no."
"So was I, Schlatt. And to answer your question, Fundy, all of the Sleepy Bois are bird hybrids."
"Really? What types?" The fox is intrigued, and I don't blame him.
"I'm a sulphur-crested cockatoo, Techno's a pink robin, Tommy's a cardinal, and Wilbur's a dove."
"Why is everything reminding me of my senior year today?" I mutter under my breath.
"What was that?" Dream speaks up for the first time.
"Why is everything reminding me of my senior year today?" I repeat, louder.
"What do you mean?"
"Your god damned song, the Sleepy Bois being a group of four hybrids that just so happen to perfectly match up in nationality, type and dynamic with my b- significant other from high school's family, EVERYTHING!"
"That's funny, I didn't actually write that song about myself."
"Really?" I'm confused.
"Yeah. I wrote about my two best friends from my senior year. They were dating, but one of them was on exchange from England, so it didn't exactly work out too well. The Icarius part that PmBata sings isn't as metaphorical as it seems, it's just because of the time that one of them got a text from his brother with an e-book copy of the story of Icarius and the caption 'be careful, dove.' His boyfriend nicknamed him Dove and got a stupid nickname in return. I can't remember what it was," I hear Techno draw in a sharp breath.
"What high school did you go to, Dream?" I wonder why Techno is so interested in this?
"Miami High." Miami High? That... that was my school.
"What year was your senior year?"
"2016." Twenty-fucking-sixteen. Still, Miami High was a big school.
"Dream. What were the exchange students' names, and... what is yours?" I need to fucking know.
"The exchange students in my class were called Scott Major and Will Gold." Holy fucking shit. "And... my name is Clay Richardson."

The VC erupts into noise. I can hear someone typing, but only vaguely. "My name is Will Gold, I'm from London, I have two brothers called Dave and Thomas, and I play the guitar." My old boyfriend's introduction from that first day of senior year begins to play on a loop in my head. "Schlatt?" Dre- Clay's voice says the stupid online name that I made up on the spot when I started this channel.
"Dr- Clay. M-my name... my name is Jonathan Smith. I went to Miami High School from 2011 to 2016, my best friend's name was Clay, I'm a ram hybrid, I had the nickname Princess in senior year, my- my boyfriend's name was Will Gold. He was on exchange from England. I haven't spoken to him in almost six years."

"Schlatt, I don't think that's true." Phil's voice shocks me out of my rant.

<><><><><><><><><><><>

1053 words
Published February 14 2021
Hey guys! Thought I'd try and move on and write a new story since Songs was such a mess, and when I was listening to Roadtrip I had an idea and I rolled with it. I actually went on a last name generator for the homeroom teacher, then remembered that at my school we literally have a teacher that we call Miss Grace. And the Vice Principal is Miss Jess. ANYWAY, so many sneaky Youtubers in the class! I am sneak -w-
Wanted to sneak in Pravus, RTGame and Boffy as well, but I didn't know how :(
Anyway, bai!