The kiss was sweet, innocent even. But it didn’t stay that way for very long. His mouth started moving hungrily over mine, his tongue sliding between my lips into my mouth. I gasped at the sensation, cupping his jaw, and pushing myself against him.

His other hand slid around my waist, running up my back and tugging at the hairs at the base of my neck. He pulled me deeper into the kiss, his mouth hot and heavy on mine. I whimpered when his fingers dug into the flesh of my hip, dragging me closer to him.

“No, no,” Sonny breathed out, his breathing heavy as he forced himself to pull away. I chased his mouth, but he wouldn’t let me.

“Sonny,” I whined, longing for his mouth back against mine.

“(Y/N), you don’t want this. You don’t want me,” I sighed, dropping my head forward to rest into the crook of his neck. Sonny pulled me closer, and it took me all of two seconds to start sobbing again, clutching onto him for dear life.

“Why doesn’t he want me?” I whispered, speaking through a sob. Sonny stroked my back reassuringly, placing a kiss to my shoulder.

“Sometimes the people we like most doesn’t want us, and there’s absolutely nothing we can do about it,” he sighed, and in that moment I knew he was thinking about Amanda. I knew he knew exactly how I was feeling.

“It sucks,” I chocked out, my eyes shut, clinging to him, and trying to calm down. Sonny chuckled, the sound vibrating through his chest.

“Yeah, I know.”

We sat there for a while longer in complete silence while Sonny whispered reassuring nothingness into my ear, stroking my back to try to calm me.

And as the minutes ticked by, both of us only getting wetter because of the rain, I couldn’t help but feel like the biggest idiot in the world.

I should’ve known I wouldn’t hold up to Rafael’s standards. I would never be his idea of an ideal woman, how could I? He wanted someone who… someone like Yelina. Someone that’s outright gorgeous. Someone that can put on a dress and actually pull it off. Someone who’s delicate and proper. Someone that wasn’t like me.

I sighed into the curve of Sonny’s shoulder as I pulled away, looking him into his blue eyes that now looked dark and dull in the night.

“Come on, let’s go home,” I said, leaning in to place a gentle kiss to his forehead.

“Yeah,” he agreed, and we stood.

Sonny had his arm slung around my shoulders, keeping me close as he walked me back to my apartment, reassuring me the whole way back.

Maybe I would feel better tomorrow.

***

I woke up with a raging headache, my vision blurred when I finally did open my eyes. I groaned as I rolled over in my bed, my body unwilling to work with me at all.

I noticed a glass of water and two headache pills on my bedside table, and I silently thanked Sonny for knowing I would need it. Not only had I drank until I was a little buzzed at the bar, but I had drowned myself in a half empty bottle of cheap vodka after Sonny had left me alone in my apartment.