When the tea arrived, Elizabeth accepted a cup, allowing it to warm her chilled hands. She breathed in the steam and felt herself return to her rational mind. There was no time for any foolishness such as she exhibited outside; their mother was surely behaving foolishly enough for the entire family, and that was to say nothing of the degree of imprudence Lydia displayed. Elizabeth must retain her wits if she was to assist her family.

There was the sound of hooves outside, and Elizabeth looked out the window to see Mr. Darcy racing by on horseback.

"Well," she said hopelessly, "I suppose that answers the question of Mr. Darcy's response to our predicament. He could not get away quickly enough." She thought of one of his statements: "I am not unduly burdened." Certainly not, as his quick escape from Rosings indicated.

"Do you think he will gossip about our situation?" asked Kitty.

"I do not believe so. I was not the only one who shared a confidence during our conversations. He told me something he would rather not be made known."

Kitty nodded, and Elizabeth was struck once again by how much her sister matured since her marriage. The Kitty that lived at Longbourn would have wheedled and begged for the story until Elizabeth went mad.

"That does soothe me."

"There shall be no soothing for me. I must get back to Longbourn. Would you be so kind as to retrieve Mr. Collins from the church? I shall pack my clothes.

Kitty left to fetch her husband, and Elizabeth collected her belongings. Mr. Collins was shocked at the idea of Lydia's behavior, although he was also secretly pleased he chose the sister he did. He was all too happy to arrange travel for Elizabeth, and she was soon on the road back home. She did not know what help she might provide, but nonetheless, she needed to be with her family during this trying time.

***

Upon her arrival home, Elizabeth found her mother in bed, lamenting how life could be so terrible as to do such a thing to her dearest, her favorite, her baby Lydia.

"Who knows what that horrible Mr. Wickham did to her to compel her to leave home! Oh, I cannot imagine. I feel faint again," and with that, Mrs. Bennet lapsed into a swoon that at least provided her daughters with a moment's reprieve from her wailing. However, it was only a moment, and her eyes sprung open again and turned to Elizabeth. "Lizzy! Why did you bring such a horrible man into Lydia's life? I am certain she never would have done this if it was not for your poor example."

Elizabeth knew better than to take real offense; when she was vexed (which was most of the time), their mother said things she did not necessarily mean. Elizabeth was aware enough to realize the elopement was not her fault; being thoroughly taken in by Mr. Wickham's stories, however, left an angry bruise on her pride. How could she have been so trusting, so foolish?

"I know that look, Lizzy," Jane whispered to her. "This was none of your doing; do not listen to Mama. How could you have known his true character?"

"How could I not?" Elizabeth. "I had my doubts, but I did not take them seriously, and now see what has happened. To think I thought he proposed to me!"

Jane's eyes widened. "He proposed to you? How? When?"

It was then Elizabeth remembered she had not told Jane about the letter Wickham sent to Hunsford. She pulled her sister out of their mother's room and away from Mrs. Bennet's keen ears.

"He sent me a letter at Hunsford telling me he had to speak with me about an important matter immediately upon my return."

"He sent a letter? No wonder you suspected it to be a marriage proposal. What a very forward thing to do."

"There is more, Jane. So much more."

"About Mr. Wickham? What did you discover?"

"I do not think Mr. Wickham told me the truth in regards to Mr. Darcy. In fact, I believe I judged Mr. Darcy too harshly. He told me a story about Wickham which I cannot repeat, as I do not wish to cause harm to the story's subject. But Mr. Darcy was engaging during my trip to Hunsford--do not give me that look, Jane, I am aware how it sounds. But it seemed as if he was concerned Mr. Wickham might cause me pain. I really do believe Mr. Darcy was acting with my best interest in mind."

"I am shocked to hear you talk so of Mr. Darcy, but I cannot focus on anything due to my worry for Lydia. Did Mr. Darcy give you any indication whatsoever Mr. Wickham was capable of something like this?"

"Indeed he did," Elizabeth said gravely. "In fact, this seems to be a pattern for Mr. Wickham."

"Do you think they will marry?"

"I think Lydia believes she and Wickham are to marry. As to whether he will follow through, I doubt it. From what Mr. Darcy told me, Mr. Wickham is on the hunt for a wife with a sizable dowry."

"That disqualifies Lydia."

"And me," said Elizabeth.

"What might Mr. Wickham's intentions be, if he is not inclined to marry her?"

"Ruination. We will all be ruined. I want to be upset with Lydia because of what she had done, but I know the blame falls firmly on Mr. Wickham."

"So you believe he means to take advantage of her! Oh, Lizzy, how terrible."

"At this point, a marriage to the rogue is the best outcome we can hope for. However, I am unsure how our father might compel Mr. Wickham, even if he succeeds in locating them. Papa does not have the funds at his disposal, I am certain, to please Mr. Wickham."

"All we can do is pray."

A bellow from the bedroom announced their mother required their presence.

"Well, pray and ensure Mama does not yell the house down," Jane said with a smile. "Come, Lizzy. Let us see what she requires."