The Answer to Suffering

Start from the beginning

Hearing this, I decided to do what I otherwise wouldn't dare. I walked up to the Woman and stroked her long, smooth hair. I saw that they were sharing what looked like a clementine. Sitting together, they looked happy, perfect and fine. Without warning, they stood up, their eyes aglow. I looked to see why they reacted so. Then I saw the Creator walking through the roses. He has a smile on his face as he approaches.

"My friends," The Creator said, "Follow me. There is something I need you to see."

Time Man and I followed close behind as we went to see what was on the Creator's mind.

The Creator talked as we walked. "Feel free to eat any of these fruits you see. They were made for you by my Father and me."

The Man picked a cherry while I reached for a blackberry. Afraid of the thorns, I reached in with caution, until I realized the brier had none. As Creator lead us further, I saw none of the other briers had thorns either. The Creator stopped under a large tree. As with all the others, its fruit looked lovely. The Man reached up to pick one, but the Creator touched his hand to stop it before it begun.

"A'dom, Hovah, wait. Let me first tell you about this tree. From all the others you may eat freely," The Creator explained, "But this tree, to you I must deny, for if you eat of it, you will surely die."

"This word, 'die,'" A'dom said, "to us, has no meaning. Could you explain to us from the beginning?"

"Before I created this Garden, you see," The Creator began, "There was an enemy."

I looked at Time Man in confusion. "Did you deceive me for a reason? I asked for the Beginning of Time on our last trip. I saw nothing of an enemy--not even a pip!"

"The Time Machine cannot leave the confines of Earth." Time Man replied. "So 'beginning of time' took you to this planet's birth. If you listen carefully and hear, you'll learn the story starts far from here."

"Finally, even after given countless chances to give up his false crown," The Creator concluded, "We had to cast Lucifer and his angels down. Please my friends, beware the enemy, for he will try to use this tree to separate you from Me."

The Creator and the Creation conversed a while longer. For every question asked, the Creator had an answer. It was well into the night before the Creator left that sight.

start_of_new_material_1_26_19

"Come," Time Man said, "We should skip ahead to the next scene."

"Wait, you want to go back to the Machine?"

"And you do not? I'm tired; the Machine has a cot. In fact, it has two, if you want to sleep too."

"I meant you want to use the Machine to jump ahead?"

"Of course, but not until after a good sleep in bed. Besides, it would be rude to eat of the garden's food."

"Why not? A'dom and Hovah wouldn't fuss."

"Yes, my friend, but this food isn't for us. You don't understand, if we—never mind, you'll see."

I didn't want to time-jump around this place anymore. "You took me away from this place once before, I don't want to leave it again."

"I need you to trust me, my friend." Time Man replied. "Have I ever lied?"

I put my foot down then and there. "It doesn't matter, I don't care. This place is lovely, I'm staying right here."

Time Man went back to his transport, while I built myself a little fort. It wasn't long before I learned that staying there had nothing to be earned. There were plenty of potentials, but none of the modern essentials. The river's water was crisp and grand, but I didn't like drinking from my hand. I tried, but forgot the only person I could talk to was Time Man. What mechanism in that Machine enabled this ban? I had no Wi-Fi, no beer—I had nothing to do here! I should've trusted Time Man's expertise. Did the Machine have proper food, like a donut with cream cheese? It was further back than I thought. I knew I'd be glad for that cot. When I arrived, I saw that Time Man had spread out my bed. Finally, I had a proper place to lay my weary head. I rolled onto my side to ask something I had to know.

"Time Man, is this why you needed an amigo?"

His smile told me everything as he mimicked my position. Tomorrow, a time skip would continue our mission.

After Time Man set the chime and we traveled through time, I got out of the Machine and noticed we'd left our scene. We were closer to the Forbidden Tree than afore, a fact that I wish I'd known before.

"Time Man, if the Time Machine always stays in the same scene, why couldn't we come here last night?"

"Exercise." Even though he was right, something still confused me.

"How many Machines are here? Three?"

"Wherever and whenever I go, I leave a machine. But only by Time Travelers like us can these shadows be seen."

There were reasons why he was the Time Man, and not I. Then some movement in the tree in caught my eye. I looked in the tree, and in the branches, I could see a creature I'd never before laid eyes on. Its body was snake-like, with scales stripped in black, red and fawn. It had broad wings that shimmered in many hues, although the main colors were blacks, purples and blues. It used its legs to climb up and down the tree, moving as if it was waiting for someone impatiently.

"Ever since the Creator forbade this tree, this serpent has been waiting here anxiously." Time Man explained to me.

I remembered the Bible lessons on my mother's knee. "That's the serpent that deceives Eve—I mean Hovah?" As the irony dawned on me, I tried not to guffaw. My father had dismissed the Bible as a fairy tale, and then education sent my down evolution's trail. My thoughts about the Creation/Evolution question had started filling my mind with so much agitation, when Time Man asked me when I wanted to go, I had to ask for the Beginning. Now I was here again, about to witness Mankind's first sinning. Now, I wished I wasn't only here to view, so I could give Eve more than a clue.

"I assume we'll see Eve eat from the fruit, and then start this planet's ever cycling death loop?"

"Is this what you want to view? What else do you want to do?"

I paused and thought. Did I want to see this, or not? I was here at the tree, with the serpent before me. I didn't have time to think, for Eve was there before I could blink. The scenes that followed blew by me like a blur while I wondered why I chose to be here. I had loved the sweet innocence of this garden, but I knew Earth's sinless days are done. After heeding the serpent's twisted take on the Creator's words, I watched as she headed to the woods. I remembered what it said in the text. Adam was going to take a bite next. I didn't want to see Adam or Eve, I just wanted to leave. I looked and saw the Time Machine was smokin. "Time Man, tell me the Machine isn't broken?"

The Machine broke on our last trip too. It's something I half expected it to do. Bored, I turned and looked around. I saw a leaf had fallen to the ground. As I gazed upon this first dead leaf, I knew this world had had its first taste of grief.

I felt a presence fill the air. Then I saw the someone standing there. I knew it was no joke when he opened his mouth and spoke.

"I just banished A'dom and Hovah from their home. It's time for you to find another place to roam."

"I know, Lord Michael, but as you can see, I need my machine fixed immediately."

"Your machine is ready," Said he. And then he was gone.

"Time Man, I thought you said we could be seen by no one."

"He's omniscient, what did you think? Come on, let's get out of this rink."

I raised an eyebrow, wondering just how he could think this place was a rink. I knew this time he had to make his rhyme. I looked once more at the land so green before I stepped back into the machine.

"Last two times, I decided where and when we went. This time, Time Man, I insist, you chose when we're sent."

With a smile, Time Man set the chime, and we again traveled through time.