Icy Interactions

The first time they interact results in Iwaizumi having Oikawa pinned against the boards of Seijohs home arena.

The crowd loudens at the sight, encouraging a fight between the two.

They say the first interaction isn't important seeing as you make a good impression on the second.

At this point, Oikawa thinks the second interaction might result in being sent to the penalty box, with how much the other is testing his patience.

It was the middle of the 2015-2016 season when The Seijoh kings played The Nekoma tomcats for the first time that year.

Oikawa remembers the coarse black hair that shot from underneath his helmet. He remembers the smell of icy body odor as a damp back pressed against his bare collarbone. His head slammed back onto the glass as he tried to maneuver his stick between the opposing' legs.

He remembers verbally making a blech sound and seeing a grin flash across the other's face as he took the puck and passed it to his captain. The body that pressed him down was gone as soon as he realized it was there.

As the game continued, Oikawa kept silent tabs on the man who previously checked him. He watched from the sidelines as number 17 got eager and shot from halfway down the ice.

It was an easy save for Watari but Oikawa couldn't help from thinking that the man was being careless. If he was playing with the opposition, he would've waited to pass until they were within shooting range. Shots on the net wouldn't help his stats, he needed to actually score to make use of himself.

Oikawa laughed quietly about the misfortune until he saw his coach quietly lecture him about his attitude. he could practically hear him boasting about maturity and what it means to have good sportsmanship.

What bullshit.

The clock quickly counts down to zero, signaling the start of the second-period intermission.

Each team empties into their respective locker rooms as the crowd starts to stir, heading to refill their drinks and stand in the lines for the bathrooms.

Oikawa chooses to sit deep in the corner as the athletic trainer reminds them of the importance of lacing up as tight as possible. He offers to demonstrate and the team groans in response like they haven't been skating since they could walk.

Oikawa had spent a lot of time with him in the past weeks, learning about an abundance of stretching techniques and the many parts of a leg.

After his assistant coach pulls out a whiteboard he spaces, opting to come up with his own fantasy plays.

As Oikawa steps back onto the ice with the others in the third line he finds himself face to face with the dark brunette again. The name Iwaizumi is printed across his back, the red adhesive contrasting nicely against the black jersey.

This time he wasn't going to let Iwaizumi steal the puck from him. He thought it was a careless choice putting another third lineman against him in the face-off. Oikawa had proven himself time and time again. He still came out on top when it came to one on one skills.

The whistle sounds and he dips his stick down, sending it to Mattsun. Hanamaki makes his way up the ice as Kunimi holds the puck waiting for them to get into formation. It should've been Kenma, Oikawa thinks.

Kunimi passes to Hanamaki who meets Nobuyuki Kai on a hashmark. Makki battles for possession as other players join the pile-up. Kindaichi moves from his position to take the puck back to center ice. Oikawa receives it and passes it to Mattsun. Mattsun then skates around the back of the net to find Yamamoto waiting for him on the opposite side. He turns, keeping the puck at his side, and shoots into the left corner. The puck flies upward and Yaku defends, sending it back down to Mattsuns feet. Another shot and Yaku fails to make a save.