Chapter 1

I love you.

I opened my eyes and held my chest. Breathe slowly Ember. Breathe.

Those words. Those words again.

I stood up and decided to go to the rooftop. Reaching for my coat I noticed the time, still two in the morning. I sighed.

"What are you doing up here?" I found my dad sitting on a chair.

"I should be the one asking you that." He answered while looking the sky through a telescope. He saw me staring at it, "Would you like to try?"

"What did you see?"

"Nothing. Bunch of clouds. Maybe it will rain." He stood up and made a space for me to pass.

"Now what do you see?"

"I see a star." I answered while staring at a bright star alone in the sky.

"What's wrong?" I glanced at my father. This still feels unbelievable. I'm looking at a man that's already dead in my reality.

"Nothing." I lied.

"Ember, you know that I'm here for you right?" He held my chin, "Don't be too hard on yourself."

Dad went inside after we talked for half an hour. I leaned on my seat and look up.

Whenever I look at the sky, I feel like I'm back again to that world. I feel like he is beside me, lying down on the grass, waiting for the sun to rise.

Almost a year has passed, and I'm still stuck here in the world I don't want to belong.

I lost hope. I couldn't solve the formula. And I don't know how to build the machine.

"How are you Ten?" I asked the same question every night, hoping he could hear them. I held his letter in my hands, now rumpled and full of dried tears.

"I miss you. So much." I whispered, hoping that God will deliver it to him.

I told myself that everything was destined to happen. But I can't help myself to feel regret everything that I went through.

Regret is such a short word and yet it stretches on forever.

It was a mistake looking for clues around my parent's office. It was a mistake not breaking the machine before launching towards Kepler.

Everything was a mistake.