Seventeen: Thanksgivings & Turmoil

Start from the beginning

Dez: I'm sorry, dude. That's rough.

Penny: I'm so sorry, Austin. I wish I could be there with her. I agree with Mimi and Trish, let us know how she's doing and if you need anything. I'll let Lester know.

As Austin read the messages, he felt tears slip down his cheeks. Moving into your first house was supposed to be a new and exciting chapter in a married couple's life, but he knew that he and Ally would always remember their move-in day for a completely different reason. Austin's eyes filled with tears as he realized that he hadn't fully let out his emotions at the hospital last night; apparently, he was doing it now. Tears dropped onto the table as he set his phone down and sobbed into his hands. He looked at his pancakes, which were drowned in syrup, sitting untouched on his plate. Suddenly, he wasn't hungry anymore.

/

about an hour later

Austin stared at the empty notebook in front of him. He'd been attempting to start working on a new song, but since Ally was temporarily out of commission he hadn't had much luck. I wish she knew how much I needed her right now.

A small thud and the sound of something slamming snapped Austin back to reality. He frowned, standing up from the piano bench and rushed up the stairs. He pushed the door of the master bedroom open, frowning when he didn't see Ally in her usual spot in bed. When Austin turned his head, he saw Ally leaning against the far wall of the master bathroom, through the open door. Her eyes puffy, red, and swollen, and tears streamed down her cheeks. He could tell she'd just gotten sick, but whether it was on purpose or as a side effect of the miscarriage, he didn't know.

Austin rushed into the bathroom and knelt down next to her on the floor, pulling her body closer to his. "Hey, hey, hey. Shh. It's okay, baby. You're okay."

"N-no, I'm not," she sobbed, "I-I'm so miserable, Austin. When will the pain go away?" He gulped.

"I don't know if it will," he said numbly, looking down at the floor, "This is something that isn't gonna go away."

They were both quiet for a moment. "I was twelve weeks," she whispered. "do you know what that means?"

Austin knit his eyebrows. "Uhh, I don't"—

"It means the baby was conceived during our honeymoon."

Austin smiled a little. "Oh, yeah. I think I know which day, too."

"Me, too."

More silence. "I'm just so paranoid that it's my fault, you know? I drank on our honeymoon, I stressed about the move and the EP, I did things that pregnant women shouldn't do..." her voice trailed off into a fit of sobs again.

Austin gently took her head and placed it in his lap. He stroked her hair softly. "It could have been, but it wasn't. The doctor said this happens all the time."

"Why to us, though? Why do bad things happen to good people?"

For once, Austin didn't have an answer.

/

Over the next few days, Austin kept a close eye on his wife, making sure to check on her every few hours while he got some work done. He was worried about her and had called Trish, asking for advice. She knew Ally better than anyone else, maybe even her parents.

Trish picked up on the first ring. "Hey, Austin. Is everything okay?"

Austin frowned. "That depends. Ally hasn't moved from the bedroom in about three days. I'm worried about her."

She set down the drink she'd been sipping on her back porch. "It's really that bad?"

Austin nodded, but then realized she couldn't see him. "Uh, yeah. I don't know what to do. The doctor said that the bleeding should have died down by now, but she's still in a lot of pain. I'm scared, Trish. She isn't being herself." Austin felt tears well up in his eyes but wiped them away.