Chapter 5: The Forbidden Deal Between Two Royals

Start from the beginning

And so, Felix Robane took a deep breath. Sure, he only may be 11 years old, so what? He had the will and gut as any other guy there, anyway. So what if he was the youngest? He'd prove them all wrong the moment the training would start.

He'd climb up the ranks and make his mother proud. Then, he'll serve Claude.

That was his dream... so far. He hasn't planned anything far beyond that. But that was what he was certain of. He'd protect Claude, along with the Empire, and dedicate his life to him.

"Today marks a new day to the future of Obelia!" the current Head Knight declared. He stood in the middle of the stage beside the Emperor.

Almost all of the new candidates stiffened their posture. The Head Knight was known to be strict, specially at the newcomers. He has been elected by the Emperor to personally serve the Empire. There was no doubt when it came to his skills.

But Felix? The young man didn't feel an inch of nervousness when he heard the Head Knight speak. Why would he be?

"All those who stand here are the shining light of the Empire," the Head Knight started. "we dedicate our hearts to serving our home. Our hope. Our sun."

The Head Knight cleared his throat. "It isn't an easy job, I admit. That is why out of a hundred, there will only be very few chosen knights among all of you," he paused. His eyes scanned the crowd, as if he was looking for someone.

"Only 30 recruits will only be accepted. And one of them will be declared as the Top Knight."

The Top Knight was the one who'd serve the Royals. Mainly, the Crown Prince. Or either of the three siblings. It was an important job, and it wasn't easy to obtain. And that... that was Felix's goal. To become the best in their batch.

The Head Knight then continued on to ramble on and on about the duties of a knight. He stated the importance, the dedication needed, and the amount of sacrifice required.

"Being a Knight is no joke. You must dedicate your hearts!" the Head Knight exclaimed. "Dedicate your life to the Empire, that is the one and only goal."

It sent chills to Felix's spine upon hearing that. Being a knight also meant fighting for the Empire. It meant taking a bullet for the Empire. It meant risking his life.

"I am expecting plenty of promising candidates, so don't fail me. I want someone who will overthrow me as Head Knight-- someone who will make me proud," he said. "because I, Luther Robane, will be training you for the next five years."

That was all it took for Felix to smile.

----------

The ceremony was quite eventful, to say the least. After Luther gave a welcoming speech, the Emperor gave a few reminders. He also congratulated the candidates and gave them a few motivating words. After that, they were assigned to different groups.

Felix was part of a group full of 15 to 18 year old candidates.

They were... quite boastful. A bit of a show off, some might say. (It was better than being grouped with people his age, Felix thought.)

Most of the candidates were fresh graduates from Arlanta. They came back a few months ago, and received special training from the Academy itself. They were at an 'advantage', or so they say.

But to Felix? He was just silent. Why would he brag? He'd rather show his skills, rather than blabber endlessly without proof.

That was because the Head Knight himself trained him. The Head Knight, Luther Robane was the Emperor's best knight out there. Luther was the one who got sent to full range missions. He was the one who led the knights to victory whenever they had a battle.