2

C H A R L I E

As I predicted, I didn't sleep much. I was too excited to be spending the evening with Kate and no Audrey. I also knew I wouldn't have the attention span to focus on my school work either. I meet with my friends and sister on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursday mornings for a class in Local Coffee. All of us are doing remote learning because we all have jobs, but we don't want to isolate ourselves entirely.

"You look like hell," Alex, my best friend, said. I looked down at my outfit. I wore a black, high waist skirt that stopped a little above my mid-thigh and a vintage t-shirt tucked in with a pair of boots. The t-shirt's collar cut to look scoop-necked.

"I do?" I asked, feeling self-conscious as I sat down with my coffee.

"Your outfit is cute, but you look like you didn't sleep well last night. What time did you come in?" Elaina, my sister asked, pulling out a concealer.

"Um, around eleven. After Kate and I put the kids to bed, we stayed up a little longer watching some TV while talking about my schooling and the kids," I say, letting her apply the makeup to my under eyes.

"Are you ever going to get over that woman?" My other best friend Dylan asked as she placed her feet on the table. She will never sit in a chair correctly. I mean, none of us does, but I'm in a skirt.

"No," I said, smiling to myself about last night. I took a sip of my iced coffee, pulling out my laptop.

"What's that smile for?" Dylan asked, taking her feet off the table, leaning forward, ready to interrogate me.

"Yeah, why you smiling like that?" Bentley asked

"Nothing, it's nothing," I say a little too quickly. No one said anything as my friends stared at me. I couldn't take their eyes burning holes into my body.

"What?" I asked, pretending to act clueless.

"Something happened, didn't it?" Alex asked as Cleo gave me a knowing look.

"N-no, nothing happened," I said, avoiding all their eyes.

"Something totally did, now spill," Cleo chimed in, closing her laptop. Well, I guess there goes class for the day.

"Okay fine," I started. All looked at me, patiently waiting for me to tell them everything. I proceeded to tell about me making dinner while Kate and I drank wine, and I told them about her knowing I was heartbroken over someone I can't have. I told them that Kate knew I was gay, and her confession, and the drawing made by Lily, and then I told them about how we cuddled on the couch watching TV after we put the kids down.

I left out the kiss and the almost fuck session on the kitchen counter while I made dinner.

"Oh my fucking god," Dylan said with a smirk on her face.

"Oh, and today we're taking the kids to their swimming lessons," I throw in, covering my face with my hands to hide the red I know is showing.

"Holy shit, what about Audrey?" Cleo asked, closing her laptop too.

"That bitch only cares about Kate's money. Here's the irony, she's a lawyer for those trying to divorce and counsels those trying to save their marriage. The only reason she's so well known is that she represents all the same-sex marriages in all states, but Kate makes more money because she owns hotels from all over the world," I say.

"I swear, I thought I saw Audrey with this man at Simple Pleasures last night. He looks like Anthony," Dylan said, spiking my interest and making me feel something is very off.

"What?" I asked, feeling sick to my stomach.

"Yeah, she and this man walked in holding hands and sat in the VIP section, alone might I add," Dylan sighs.