2

It was morning, however, there was no sunlight because the smoke was obstructing the rays of light to shine on the cobbled streets. Eliza was staring out onto the rubble and ash filled city as she had been the whole night. "Look at this Lilith" she whispered, softly, to her cat. Lilith had pale, green eyes and an inky black coat. Her mother, Chastity, always said that Lilith was superstitiuous but Eliza always said it was nonsense.

"Eliza, darling!" A posh, manly voice boomed through the halls of the Raven Palace.
"Yes Father!" Eliza replied, quietly.
"Breakfast is ready my dear!" She didn't really adore her parents. Eliza thought they were too posh. She, however, was not even close to posh. Eliza just acts like it to please her god forsaken mother and father.

Her maid, Raina, tapped her gold flaked door.
"Eliza, am I alright to come in?" Raina asked.
"Of course you can Rai." She replyed, finally feeling some happiness in her life.

Raina was Eliza's only friend. The only person she could talk to without getting ridiculed.

"Have a seat Rai." Eliza offered as she realized this could be a reason not to go downstairs to her hellish life.
"Oh my pleasure." Raina accepted. "I've been cleaning all morning. I've only just finished!"
"It must be tiring." Eliza said, with a sad look on her face. "I could help if you want. Anyways, it's better than staring out of the window all afternoon and morning."
"I guess so"
"Raina, can I ask you something? And you promise not to tell mother and father." Eliza looked desperately at her  maid as Raina stared back in confusion and worry.
"Of course I won't tell them"
Eliza took a deep breath as words spilled out.
"Well, all this war stuff got me thinking. Do you agree with the killing of all these people?" She asked.
Raina's worried expression turned into a reassuring one.
"Eliza, dear, you're forgetting these aren't people." Eliza began to look frustrated.
"But-"
"Ah...no more now. Your breakfast is going to get cold." Eliza looked at her, devastated as Raina rushed out of the door and closed it behind her.
"I guess I should get changed, huh Lilith?"
Lilith gave a bored meow as Eliza trudged over to her oversized wardrobe.
hmm what to wear? She thought, skimming the array of dresses, dresses and more dresses. Lilith gave a cry, "Not much choice is there."
"You are correct there Lilith" Eliza gave her a smile then turned back. That was when Eliza stopped.

"Hold on....did you just speak?"