Chapter 15: The Midterm - Part 3 ❤️

Start from the beginning

Retrieving the thing from her bag, Tina pouted. "It'll slow me down." Frustrated, Brandon took the offered spotlight. "Thanks," she praised him. "Five minutes," she repeated with a look at Denzel's wristwatch.

After wetting her googles one last time, Tina slapped them on and walked along the shoreline. Carefully stepping into the water, she waded until about waist-high, and then, with a deep breath, dove beneath the surface.

With her group's lights guiding her through the murky water, Tina stroked steadily until she reached a beautiful underwater archway. On its other side, she noticed a tiny beam of light.

That way, she thought and swam through the gate until she was woozy and realized her helpful lights had disappeared. Damn time warps, she thought while trying to ignore the pounding in her head.

...Whoa... She searched her aquatic paradise of enormous, craggy rock formations and arresting animals one would likely only see on a tropical vacation.

As picturesque pufferfish and magnificent manta rays lived their lives, the alien air-breather felt an unusual tickle at her waist. Looking down, she noticed a school of flamboyant butterflyfish using her as a glorious divider. Tina smiled before she caught something slithering opposite her, near the water's deeper edges. Squeezing her eyes together, she spotted a few lengthy barbs.

Stingrays... If I stay clear of them- Shit. Got to breathe!

Searching for an air pocket she could exploit, the young girl identified some artsy angelfish, and in between them, her giant saviors, some green sea turtles.

Bless! She followed the air-breathing reptiles to safety, never more thankful for that one elementary school marine project than now. Thank you, Mrs. Espozo!

...

"Let me go!" Denzel yapped.

"She's fine." Brandon flung the older man back as he planted himself between him and the lake.

"She's not! You said that she went through a warp!"

"Yeah, our bond says she went through a warp, not that she died."

Rolling her pants past her knees, Dee carefully trudged into the water with her spotlight.

"Stop trying to push through me," Brandon growled as Denzel tensed.

"But it's been seven minutes!"

"She's a strong swimmer."

"Exactly! She's not part fish!"

Brandon's grip on the borrowed flashlight tightened. "...Three more."

Denzel's pupils constricted with his shout, "But-"

"I said give her three more minu-"

"Guys!" Dee squealed excitedly. "She's back!"

"Really?!" Both men ran to the water's edge.

Using their spotlights, the three led Tina back to shore.

Tina pulled herself from the water just enough to lay down without the fear of being swept back out. "Hell."

"Told you she was fine." Brandon flicked his light off and crossed his arms with a cocky smirk.

"You said five minutes!" Denzel screamed with a jerky flashlight as Tina worked to catch her breath.

"Sor-Sorry." Tina rolled on her back to soothe the burning in her lungs.

As her friend fought a coughing fit and waterlogged gasps, a worried Dee frowned. "You don't sound good." Getting on her knees, she helped Tina roll back onto her stomach.