25. What truly hides under your skin

The scorpion tail of the demon rocked back and forth above their heads, slowly going from side to side as if with a life of its own. It was hungry and Ayaka was a complete meal handed to it on a silver plate.

"I guess you already know about my powers?"

"You turn people into something similar to demons through poison. You control them," Ayaka managed to say despite the demon's hold around her neck. She stared as the black and shining stinger hovered menacingly behind her. "I guess that's what the thing is for."

The demon bursted out into chuckles.

"I never believed you to be so sharp!" She said. "How haven't you seen me!? I must admit that seeing you accusing other humans was really funny!"

Ayaka's hand trembled. Her nichirin sword was still on the sheath tied to her waist. Night had just started but time didn't worry her. It had never been an issue before.

Tomoko paralyzed, trembling as she stepped back in a hurry. 

The demon raised her eyebrows and fixed onto the little girl that was still there. 

"It's been a while ever since we last saw each other, devil's child," she said without blinking, no effort into reaching for her. 

Tomoko flinched further and started to sob. Ayaka silently huffed. 

"Don't you dare touch that sword," came the threatening voice of the demon. Ayaka closed the hand that had been so dangerously close to the handle of her nichirin sword. "I see you're not so dumb after all. Is that partner of yours knowledgeable on poison? How was it, Kanao? It's incredible she knew how to recognize it, and so quickly too."

Bitterness dripped from Ayaka when she spit at the demon's face.

"Don't you dare say Kanao's name with that filthy mouth of yours." 

"Are you aware of the situation you're in right now? I could break your neck right now if I wanted to." The demon brushed the spit away with her sleeve. 

Ayaka chuckled. 

"Go ahead, then. Kanao will do the job without me just fine," she barked in amusement. For the first time the demon frowned in something that wasn't satisfaction. Ayaka's smile widened. "Besides, you won't, why else would I still be alive if you didn't have a use for me?" 

The demon squeezed harder as she clenched her jaw. 

"You're not dead right now because I have a peaceful way to solve this, so shut up and listen," she hissed. Ayaka smirked, hold around her neck ever present. 

"You're scared of me." 

A scraping took over the room when the demon started to grind her teeth. Ayaka didn't know if the demons could sweat, but fat beads fell down the demon's forehead. Despite everything, she said nothing. 

"That's why you sent Tomoko's father and that's why you waited for me to be alone," Ayaka accused, slowly turning of an unhealthy purple. "You know that if I try, if I manage to escape and get to Kanao, we'll behead you."

A certain shine appeared on the demon's dark eyes, and she regained her smile as if she had never lost it. 

"But you weren't trying." Ayaka was left speechless, as a drowning beep drowned her ears. "You wanted me to eat all those people, and we both know that Kanao of yours does nothing unless orderd to, so if you played dumb and spent the night here, outside the village, as I ate all those humans just to kill me later, no one would have placed any guilt on you." 

The small form that was Tomoko on the floor raised her gaze up at her. 

"Ayaka-san?"

The demon lifted Ayaka higher against the wall and Tomoko's eyes, fearful and blue, followed her.