chapter 1

"In second place, Peppermint Patty!"

Noah Centineo clapped along with the rest of the people at the World Yo-Yo Championships (WYYS, pronounced like "wheeze", for short, as Peppermint Patty came to the stage and accepted her second place award. This was Noah's first ever WYYS and he was about to pee his pants because he was so anxious for the results. Noah was a yoyo prodigy. He had come out of the womb with a yoyo in his hand and had a prosperous career in the art of the yoyo since then. He was fairly certain he was going to win first place at his first WYYS ever, but he was still nervous just for the fun of it.

His best friend Ebeneezer came up to him and dapped him up. "Ayo, Noah Centineo check!" he said as they dapped each other. "Do you think you're gonna win, brotha?"

"For sure, man," Noah said. "Nobody else in this ROOM even came close to my gnarly yoyo skills."

"True, true," Ebeneezer said. "Best of luck to you, my friend."

"Thanks, dude," Noah said, and he started paying attention to the ceremony again.

"And finally, the WYYS champion...EBENEEZER!"

Noah's eyes widened and he started to tear up. He looked over at Ebeneezer, who was already heading to the stage to get his award. "Homie, man, I can't believe you would do this to me!" Noah cried. "I thought we were best friends!"

Ebeneezer just turned and laughed at Noah. "Sorry, brother man, but I don't think we can dap each other up anymore. No offense, you're just so bad at yoyo that I can't be seen with you."

"NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!" Noah cried.

And then his alarm went off.