LXXIII. One Baby, Two Babies, Two Babies Plus

Start from the beginning

I never understood it.

What they were doing - until now.

He's comforting her, apologizing to her, for pulling her into this type of malicious life. A life where she can't trust anyone around her. A life where she would continuously be slander for everything she does. Defame. Degrades. Devalue. No one would allow her to forget she's married into money.

It's easy for someone to say: "Just don't listen to what others say."

But, they would never understand - how isolated she is in dad's world.

Mom doesn't entirely approve of my feelings for Hailey. It's surprising, I know. Particularly with all the teasing she gave us. But, with time, she couldn't reject what I feel was more than a crush. So, the teasing minimized with time, but she wouldn't dismiss it if I ever got together with Hailey. She doesn't entirely approve because she cares about Hailey. She doesn't want Hailey to enter our world.

There's a part of me that also doesn't want to bring Hailey on my side.

I'm afraid I may lose her if I do.

That's the reason why I proposed that she comes to Pandora Academy. To slowly expose her to my world. Right now, the young generation around us isn't as vicious as their snake-like parents. And with time, hopefully, Hailey becomes immune to their venom.

Steady exposure.

And maybe, I won't lose too much of her.

"Nevermind," Hailey mumbles. Hailey's eyes cast downward - a bad habit. Her nail digs against the nail polish. She's doing it again. She's overthinking.

I stroke the blonde hair behind her red ear, and without control, I lower myself. Hidden behind the mountain of gifts, out of sight from the world, I kissed her.

It's soft like I remember.

I didn't know it was possible, but Hailey's face got even redder.

"Josh!" Crystal calls for me. "Why are you two hiding back here?" Crystal looks at me. "Auntie asks for you." She hands me the phone.

"I need to use the restroom," Hailey mumbles and dash for the exit.

"What did you do to her?" Crystal question.

I smile, "Nothing."

"Creep." She huffs a breath. "Give me my phone back later." She heads back towards the crowd.

"Hello?"

"Joshua Lynn Greyson! Did you steal one of my tiaras?" Mom's voice does not sound pleasant.

"What?" I question. "Stole? I asked you if I can have it for Hailey's birthday. Don't you remember?"

"No, you did not."

"Mom. I did."

"When?"

"Before I left, while you and dad were bickering over date night."

There's a long pause. "I did?"

"Yes!" I lied. Mom didn't permit me to have the tiara. There's no way she would approve it if she knew the reason why.

I wanted a tiara to impress the girl I like.

She would probably smack my head.

Mom exhales, "I really don't remember." Mom had the twins, Landon and Logan, over the holidays. After the twins arrived, the house turned upside down.

Mom poured all of her attention into the twins, and no one is happy. Dad and mom bicker every night over ridiculous things. Such as cancellation of date night, deprivation of sleep, and many other things. In conclusion, dad is deprived of mom's attention. The boys hated the twins, nagging that they always cry throughout the night.