LXVII. Great Plan

Start from the beginning

Mom laughs, "We'll see." Her phone buzzes. When she looks at the screen, her smile disappears. She slides her thumb across the screen and places it against her ear. "What is it?" I call that mom's business voice.

There was some scattered sound inside the phone.

"Yeah. I will send you the documents."

More scatter words.

"Alright. Bye." She ends the call.

"Who was that?" I ask. Mom usually doesn't get calls from her work phone.

"Valentina."

"Oh-" I respond. I don't know who she is talking about. "Like Valentine."

Mom laughs, "Exactly. Like that holiday." She pinches my cheek before she goes back to work.

The holidays came as expected. Nothing changed this year. We spent Christmas opening gifts, watching movies, and playing board games. I work a part-time job to pay back the money my parents lend me. I'm not complaining; it distracts me from the negative thoughts. Then, New Year was spent watching fireworks from the tv.

I put on the New Year band and sat on the couch. Three hours before the New Year. My phone buzzed.

I smile lightly and sneak into the other room. I fix my hair slightly before answering the call. "Hi."

"Happy New Year." I haven't heard Josh's voice in so long. He looks handsome as always. He even got his hair trimmed. I can hear the fireworks in the background. His family must have gone to the penthouse to watch the fireworks.

"Happy New Year," I responded. Well, New Year isn't for three more hours for me, but I'm happy he called.

"Do you want to stay on the phone and spend New Year together?"

I nod, "I would like that."

"How's the holiday so far?"

"Good." It would be better if you were here.

After an hour, Alvin caught me on the phone with Josh. Now, my whole family is talking to him.

"Where are your parents?" Mom asks.

"They're in the living room." Josh got out of the room and went towards the living room.

Everyone was there, playing board games or falling asleep. My parents talked to Josh's parents for a while before he went back to everyone else.

My smile drops when I see a familiar girl in the background. Josh didn't focus too much on her, but I can see her talking to Mrs.Greyson. Why is she there with them?

When the clock hits midnight on our end, I use the rest of my energy to blow on the party horn and rattle slightly rattle the toy.

I can't believe she is there with them.

I want to ask why she's there, but I couldn't. It would be too rude.

"Hailey," mom called. "Tired?"

I nod, "Yeah. I think I'm going to call it a night. You guys can continue talking." I look at the screen. "Goodnight and Happy New Year." Josh looks like he wants to say something, but instead, he smiles softly. My eyes refuse to divert away from the girl in the background. I didn't say anything else and left the living room.

The days continue to pass, and it's almost time to go back to school. I don't want to go back.

"Hailey. It's cold outside! Don't forget your gloves!"

"Okay, mom!" I put on my gloves before I left the house. I didn't have anywhere to go; after all, I am friendless.

I spent my day at the park—my butt on the wet swing. The tip of my boot scrap against the bark, and I exhale heavily.