LXIV. Getting Juliette

Start from the beginning

Hailey called and asked me what happened, even when she already knew. The disappointment in her voice was real. She told me she couldn't talk to me anymore because her parents said she couldn't speak to someone who smokes and bullied others.

It must have been difficult for her. To know her best friend was bullying someone while she was a victim herself.

I know I had it good, but I was being hard headed and didn't apologize.

The school kicked me out because all tuition was withdrawn. The family I stayed with couldn't keep me without adopting me because I was considered an orphan. I even live at a fucking orphanage.

During that time, my family packed up and went to California for a family event...without me.

They posted pictures of the family reunion without me.

They posted a picture with Hailey's family, without me.

I felt bitter.

I didn't know mom could be so heartless.

She would actually go through with everything she said. So, I called dad. Dad's best advice was to apologize. He brought me a plane ticket to California. The moment mom saw me, she broke down.

I guess no parents want to disown their children.

***

I sat down on the front porch. Dad settles beside me and exhales, "You really screwed up, Joshua." Whenever he says my full name, it's never a good thing.

"Was I that bad?"

"Joshua. It's not fake. We disowned you."

"The lawyers were real?"

He nods, "They were."

"I'm an actual orphan?"

He nods again, "Yeah."

I turn my head towards the front lawn. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. "You guys can do that? It's not illegal or anything?"

He shook his head. "It's completely legal."

I tuck my lips over my teeth. "Mom cried."

"Yeah. I saw. I never saw her cry so much before in my life except-" I look at him. "Except when Alice passed away."

"Auntie Alice?"

"Yeah. Since then, she has never cried so hard. She even picked up her violin again." I remember dad talking about it once. Mom only played the violin whenever she's extremely depressed.

"I'm sorry," I said. "I...It's just-"

"Everyone around you continuously praised you. They shower you with compliments on how you're the best. You're a Greyson. You can do anything you want and get away with it."

"Yeah."

Dad nods, "Been there. Done that."

"You were-"

"In your position. Yes." He exhales, "That's probably the reason why your mom is so harsh on you. You look and act so much like me when I was younger. Your mom is afraid you may be like me."

"But, mom is with you. You're a good father, and mom loves you. So-" I didn't understand how being my dad is a bad thing.

"Joshua, I've done a lot of things I'm not proud of. I've hurt many people in my life. I'm not a good guy, and I don't think I'll ever be one. Your mom loving me is pure luck. If I didn't meet her, I would become like your grandpa."