43: "You're stupid and ugly and worthless, but I miss you."

Start from the beginning

"Don't listen to them, Alice," I say, "Frank is a really nice guy—"

But Alice is already crying, and Lily looks furious, her face the colour of her hair.

"Didn't you hook up with Dedalus Diggle?" she shouts malevolently, and Dorcas's mouth falls open as the whole table makes noises of reaction, almost everyone howling with glee.

"I'm gonna kill you, Evans!"

"Oh, I'd love to see you try!"

"Shut up—shut up!" I shout, standing up abruptly. Silence falls, and I shake my head.

"Look at you lot!" I say loudly, everyone looks at the scene. Remus and Lily are holding Mary back, the fork still in her hand. Marlene is standing on the bench seat, Dorcas has a wad of eggs in her hand, ready to throw. James is still snickering, and Alice is crying. My eyes find Sirius's as he looks up tiredly from his untouched food, but I look away quickly. "You're being ridiculous! We didn't ask you to choose sides; this doesn't even concern you, so stop trying to make it your problem!"

I stand up, having not touched my food either. They all watch as I swing my bag over my shoulder and leave the Great Hall, not looking at anyone as I leave.

I make my way to the abandoned washroom on the second floor, which is where I've been going to drink every morning after breakfast. Just a couple shots to ease my mind for class. Just a couple shots.

I pull a bottle of whiskey from my bag along with a shot glass I stole from Dorcas's extensive collection. She won't notice, she doesn't really use them anyway. Dorcas has always been a chug-from-the-bottle sort of girl.

My hand shakes as I place the glass on the sink, avoiding my reflection's judgemental gaze and pouring my first shot. I down it quickly and pour another, glancing at myself in the mirror and regretting it immediately. I look a mess, my hair tangled, my eyes carrying a whole cargo ship of luggage, and my cheeks hollow. I look away and swing back the second shot before pouring a third.

"Well this is a sorry sight," comes a voice, and I look in the mirror to see Mandy Pierson behind me. I lean my hands on the edge of the sink, taking my third shot and pouring a fourth.

"What do you want?" I ask dully, and she smirks, adjusting her bag on her shoulder and shrugging.

"I take it you and Black broke up, then?" she says, taking my silence as an answer. "Ah, well. You guys would've made filthy little traitor babies, anyway."

"That joke is overdone," I deadpan. "It's always filthy blood traitor this, filthy blood traitor that. Don't you guys have any better insults?"

"Sure." She shrugs. "How about worthless bitch?"

I belch. "Much better. Now if you'll excuse me, I'd like to drink away my sorrows in peace."

She hesitates, looking about to leave before she stops.

"You're brother's a Death Eater, did you know?" she asks quietly, and I look at her through the mirror again.

"I did."

"Oh," she says. I expect her to taunt me for it, but it seems she almost feels bad. "He hasn't come to school since."