II. TO DANCE, OR NOT TO DANCE

Start from the beginning

"Yes good idea. James, Nash and Ella, go with the girls. Perhaps Kensington Gardens? It's a short walk and a lovely day." Ascella was still looking at the piano in wonder and Nash looked like he just wished to go home.

"Kensington Gardens does seem safe," James said gravely.

Lucie rolled her eyes and seized Cordelia's hand, pulling her down the steps and onto the pavement, leaving the three other children to follow in toll. Nash and James quickly fell into conversation, keeping a good distance from Cordelia and Lucie but always keeping them in eyesight, and Ascella found herself falling slightly behind the two boys due to continuously stopping to pick passing flowers. She planed to use them to make a small bouquet to give to Anna, together with some homemade cookies, next time the two caught up for their regular gossip sessions over tea. It had been a while since their last meeting and Ascella rather missed the eccentric girl.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Okay. Just 5 more minutes and I'll be free to leave. Just wait for the Carstairs to finish their rounds.

Ascella was half hidden in the shadows as she watched Lucie, Cordelia and Nash make their rounds. Nash and Cordelia had been getting along seemingly well considering the awkward mess Nash was when they were first acquainted. The Valez girl could only laugh when she recalled the greeting comprised of awkward handshakes and stuttered greetings. Thomas and Christopher resided besides the refreshments table and Matthew and James were no were to be seen.

"I did not give you that stunning dress for you to be a wallflower, my dear Ella. Nor for you to disappear halfway through the night as I'm sure you have planed." The girl jumped upon hearing her cousins voice. Anna was right as always, the dress the older lightwood girl had gifted the Valez girl was truly beautiful. Matthew had been the one to deliver it to her earlier that day. He and Anna often bought gorgeous clothes for the girl so she didn't think anything of it.

Before he arrived she had planned to feign sick, excusing herself from the evening, however her excitement to wear the dress overruled her anxiety for the night. The flowy deep red material was adorned with golden stars, almost like a night sky. It was tight around her bust and layered over her hips. The dress was certainly alluring and elegant, despite not quite fitting the light pastel dresses that were currently all the rage. Her dress was bold, much like all the other dresses Anna regularly gifted her. It was made to stand out.

Anna was constantly pushing Ascella to be more confident, more open, more herself, ever since she first met the quiet yet fierce girl. Anna was always more perspective than most and had quickly taken Ella under her wing after noticing something was wrong. Anna was her first friend in London. Ella was quick to open up to Anna, looking up to her like a big sister. Anna's efforts had helped the girl dramatically, but it was a very slow process. Getting her to stay at parties was her next step.

"My apologies dear Anna, but I don't believe I understand what you are on about. Me? A wallflower? I would never. I am the life of the party. You on the other hand.. what are you doing here, hiding in the corner? You are missing all the action." Anna hummed in response, eyes searching the crowd. She was used to the girls sarcasm. There was a certain person she hoped would ask Ascella to dance as she suspected that he was perhaps one of the few people she would actually willingly accept a dance from. Unfortunately he had the same habit as Ascella, disappearing from balls in thin air.

"Who are you searching for my dear cousin. You seem quite distracted. If you are looking for a certain lady by the name of Ariadne, I believe you are looking in the wrong direction." Anna's head quickly snapped to face the Valez girl's evil grin. Unfortunately for Anna, Ella was just as smart and perceptive as her. Well, most of the time.

"How many times do I need to state that we are just friends." Anna sighed, "And do keep your voice down. I am looking for your dance partner and my future cousin in law, although he seems to have disappeared again."

"Tutt, tutt. I believe you totally and full heartedly." Ella winked, "As long as when the day comes I am the one to walk you down the isle. Also, I don't dance, nor do I plan to marry anytime soon, so good luck with that one." Ascella loved to tease Anna on her little crush almost as much as Anna love to tease Ella on her non-existing romantic fantasies with the one and only Matthew Fairchild.

"But you will be dancing tonight with someone other than your brother or else I will be forced to believe the reason to your solidarity is because you hate the dress I personally choose for you. I shall never buy you a single dress again." Anna smirked as Ella groaned. Anna always found a way to manipulate the girl, "And if I see you have disappeared at some point during the night I will never invite you to tea again. I may also start a rumor that you are looking for eligible suiters if I am feeling particularly cunning."

"The amount of times you have threatened me with that rumor makes me quite fearful you are no longer jesting." Ella paled at the thought of having to find a suiter. It was something she preferred not to think about.

"It is always a thought and it would certainly boost the process of marriage, although I don't think I would ever need to." Ella couldn't help but feel wary at the twinkle in Anna's eyes. "Now I must find a certain Fairchild and Herondale. There are oh so many girls that still need to dance and simply I cannot do it all myself. Plus, you my dear, need a partner." Anna walked away, leaving Ella to shake her head in disbelief. There was no stopping Anna once she had a thought in her head.

Oh no. Her eyes had found their way back to Cordelia, Lucie and Nash whom had found themselves in the company of none other then Catherine Townsend, Rosamund Wentworth, Ariadne Bridgestock and the rest of young female residences of London. Some, for example Ariadne were rather pleasant, although the large majority were to be avoided.

She was left with no choice to rescue her brother who was looking awfully misplaced within the large group of young females, all expecting him to ask them to dance. Something which she knew he would never do.

By the looks of it, the encounter wasn't going all so well. She went to whisk her brother to safety, presumably into a dance where they only held hands, stepped on each others feet and laughed at the hopelessness of each other. The Valez children usually had one dance together, and it was usually the only dance either child would have that night. Neither child partially disliked dancing itself, in fact they quite enjoyed it when they were together. It was the fact that neither took dancing seriously, nor were either child much good. They were truly and utterly atrocious.

Ella could only hope Lucie would save poor Cordelia.