01

Part I

My life was a black hole.

Trapped in a loveless marriage, I was empty, numb. Oblivious to it all.

Until him.

He was the spark that brought me back from the abyss. He was my fire.

But our love was forbidden.

Between the lies, that fire began to take over my soul. That need to feel wanted had me escaping my life, running toward him no matter the consequences.

They say you shouldn't play with fire.

But I needed to feel the burn.

Chapter 01

Natalia

Present

I sit on my king-size bed and stare at the dull white wall. It's the only surface in my bedroom I haven't decided what to do with. When we moved into this apartment, Donnie and I couldn't agree what to put there. At the time, I thought it was a perfect spot for a bassinet. Now I shake my head at the memory. Eight years have passed. Ten since he first knocked on my door.

I draw up my legs and rest my chin on my knee, the empty wine glass held up by my fingertips. My gaze is still glued to the two coats of eggshell paint that cover the drywall.  My throat suddenly tightens and I blink as a lone tear falls down my cheek.

He's late.

Again.

The sad part is that I don't have to look at the clock. I know it's past midnight. I feel it deep in my gut. Something is off. Something's always wrong when he's late.

My heart races as I contemplate all the places he could be at this very moment, but the fading purple bruises on my arms and the scar on my left cheek remind me why I no longer let my mind go there.

I learned not to ask questions.

I glance down at my large diamond engagement ring that sits next to my wedding band and I lower my chin to my chest, swallowing back a sob. How is this a better life?

He came back for me. He was here when I needed him most. And I made a vow. So I look at my blank wall. It's a reminder of what I am. Empty and alone. Perhaps that's the reason I choose not to do anything to it. It's depressing, like my life.

Misery loves company.

My stomach churns. I'm desperate to know the time, so I pull my gaze away from the wall and over to my clock.

It's a quarter to one.

I pour myself another glass of Sauvignon Blanc.

#

My phone vibrates under the down comforter. The alcohol swooshes through my body and I'm woozy.  The bright light blurs my vision and I squint at the screen.