zero

LESLIE Shay and Carly Shay, twin sisters

LESLIE Shay and Carly Shay, twin sisters. Leslie decided to become a paramedic and Carly became a firefighter after high school and have worked together ever since. They moved to Chicago a couple years back in hopes for a new start. Now they needed a new start at a new firehouse. That new start being Firehouse 51.

~

      After what felt like years of standing in front of the firehouse, Leslie nudges me forward to go in.

"Hey," I say to the first person I see, Leslie standing beside me.

"Hello." the random man says looking back and forth between the us.

"hi. uh, we're looking for Dawson." the man turns around and asks someone to grab her. "Where'd you come from?"

"Originally, St. Louis," Leslie says joining in the conversation.

"I meant what firehouse?"

"Oh, right. um.. Logan Square. 87th. We were there a couple years." A dark haired woman walks up to us in a paramedics uniform. Definitely Dawson.

"Hey, Leslie Shay," we both stick out our hands to shake.

"Carly Shay,"

"Hey, Dawson, Gabriela." she says.

"I've heard like a million good things about you." I say trying to start a conversation.

"All lies. come on I'll show you around." We all walk over where five firefighters were messing around near the trucks.

"That's Cruz and Otis. they're totally harmless, trust me. I mean, they're gonna ask you out, but-" she says pointing to the two men.

"oh, no, no, no, i'm-"

"This is Vargas, Herrmann, and Lieutenant Casey. oh, this is Leslie and Carly Shay, Leslie's the new paramedic and Carly's on truck" Dawson says as we both wave.

"great to meet you, Leslie and Carly. twins?"

"yeah. you can call me shay," Leslie says.

"Carly or CJ works for me. Doesn't matter."

"Alright." We head over to a table with another set of men. Great, lots and lots of testosterone.

"End of story: Manfredi ended up moving out, and i need a new roommate. hopefully, by, you know, before next month's rent due." a man, around our age said to the rest of the group of men.

"We've been looking for a roommate," Leslie says turning her head towards him. the guys at the table all start to laugh. "I'm serious. I just went through a breakup thing, and we can barely afford a place together, so, I don't know-" the man takes a step forward, closer to Leslie, as she takes a big step back. I immediately start laughing, knowing what is about to happen. It happens every time.

"Yeah?" he says.

"Whoa, put your in your pants, Lieutenant. you're not my type," she says as he chuckles a little.

"You never know," he says with a shrug.

"Do you have a vagina?" all the guys stare back at her in confusion. "I'm gay. fully gay. yeah. my drink's tequila. and my sister is straight but ya know. you aren't her type either." he nods his head slightly catching on.

"Kelly Severide,"

"Leslie Shay," they shake hands. Kelly turns his attention over to me now.

"not my type huh" he asks. I laugh at his comment and extend my hand.

"Carly Shay," This will be the beginning of a long lasting friendship between us, I can feel it.