Fourteen: Weddings & Worries

Start from the beginning

The venue was exactly how they'd left it last night, except Austin's six-layer white chocolate cake had arrived and was sitting untouched on a table off to the side. Austin had warned Dez multiple times not to touch it, but Ally was still worried something would happen. She had to admit it was impressive that the cake made it there in one piece, cake toppers and all. They'd requested that the cake shop make replica wax figures similar to the ones that Austin had carved for their fake wedding in high school, for old times' sake and because Austin had begged for them. One of her many flaws were not being able to resist his puppy-dog eyes.

"Ally, Penny, Lester! You made it!" Trish greeted them as they walked in the door. She was sporting a comfortable, deep purple vest with a black long sleeve shirt underneath and black leggings. Ally could tell she'd touched up her curls, because they looked more defined and a little shiny. Dez was setting up his video camera equipment on the other side of the room, wearing a bright green shirt with a llama that had a unicorn horn, fittingly labeled 'llamacorn.' His pants were wacky and tacky (Trish had come up with this saying) as usual; bright-colored zigzags of every color imaginable covered them front and back. They'd decided to confine the rehearsal dinner to just the bride and groom's families and the wedding party. They didn't need the other guests present for this part; plus there was less risk of transmitting the virus this way. As for the wedding party, it was just Dez and Trish. Ally was worried enough about having a wedding during a global pandemic as it was, and evidently, nobody else had made such a significant impact on both of their lives.

"Yep, we did!" Ally exclaimed with what she hoped wouldn't come off as fake enthusiasm. "We're here...for rehearsal dinner...the night before my wedding..." her voice trailed off. "Where's Austin?" she asked, snapping herself back to reality.

Austin crept up behind her as she looked around, motioning for the others to keep quiet by holding a finger to his lips. He wrapped his arms around her torso and spun her around, making Ally squeal and burst into a fit of giggles. She turned around, hugging him tighter and planting kisses all over his cheeks.

"It's nice to see you, too," he joked, returning the hug. As she tightened her grip, his smile faded. "Woah, hey, it's only been a day since I've seen you."

"I know," Ally whispered, her voice cracking, "I just missed you so much." She buried her head into his chest and he wrapped his arms around her.

Austin frowned. What was this all about? "You okay?" he asked her, already getting the feeling of what her answer would be.

"Yeah," she said as she pulled away, wiping a stray tear. "No... I don't know. I'm really excited, but these past few days I've just been a bundle of nerves. Every time I think about tomorrow, my hands get all sweaty, and my heart starts racing a million miles an hour..."

Austin grinned, placing a delicate kiss on her hairline. "Everything will be fine, Als. I promise."

Ally faked a laugh. "Yep. That's what I've been hearing for the past... month or so. Not sure if I believe it."

"Hey," Austin pulled away from the hug, cupping her face in his hands. "I'll be right there with you the entire time. You don't have anything to worry about."

"This is why I love you," she murmured. "You always know the right thing to say."

Austin smirked a little. "I do, don't I?"

Ally rolled her eyes, reaching up to peck him on the lips. "Yeah, yeah, whatever. Let's go rehearse this thing, shall we?"

"The faster we get this thing over with, the faster I get to marry you."

"I'm excited for that part."

"Me, too."

The beginning of the rehearsal dinner went about as smoothly as it could go. It was weird sitting in the big open room with only about fifteen people present, but Austin and Ally both knew it would feel different tomorrow night. Butterflies settled in both of their stomachs and stayed there throughout the night; Ally knew hers weren't going away anytime soon. After the opening remarks, it was time for the best man and maid of honor to practice their speeches. Dez squirmed uncomfortably in his seat and Trish gave him a weird look.