Epilogue (Part 5 of 5)

#DTGEpilogue Epilogue (Part 5)

"Assia—"

My lips parted when I saw who my Dad sitting beside my wife. I immediately went there and wanted to pull her and hide her behind me.

"Vito..." she softly called.

I cupped her face. "Are you okay?" I asked. She nodded. "Are you sure?" I just had to ask again as I inspected her face. She smiled at me and held my hand.

"Do you seriously think that I'll do anything to her?"

I drew a deep breath as I stood up. I checked Assia once again. There's no visible sign of anything... but I can never be too sure. We'd just have to go to the clinic later—shit, it's already night time! One thing I hated here in the probinsya was how everything's closed when the clock strikes at 7!

I looked at Assia who was looking at us. I smiled at my wife before I walked out of the house. I didn't want to talk to my Dad in front of my wife. I was very much aware of how he didn't approve of her for me. But I seriously didn't give a shit. I knew he's my Dad. I knew he loves me. I knew he wanted the best for me.

But Assia's the best for me.

I know that.

"What are you doing here, Dad?" I asked.

"I wanted to see you," he replied. "And Assia."

I continued to stare at him. I told him I was marrying her. My dad and I... we didn't agree on a lot of things, but I thought that this? This, at least, he'd understand. He loved my mom... I thought he'd want that for me. I thought he'd be happy for me.

"And my grandchild," he continued. "Do you know the gender?"

"Why? So that you can be disappointed if it's a girl?"

"Vito—"

"I told you I'm getting married. You didn't even bother to show up," I said. I didn't tell Assia, but I felt really embarrassed when my own family didn't show up the night I was going to formally ask for her hand... But I was so thankful that my friends showed up.

That's when I realized that family's not only the one you're born into—it's also who you choose to be your family.

And my friends? They're my family.

Through thick and thin.

Through trials.

And disbarment.

And a whole lot of fucking disappointment.

"Why now?" I asked.

He just smiled at me. Sadly. But I didn't know if he's sad... because he always smiles like that. Ever since Mom died, that's how he usually looked. Like he's just tired and he wanted to rest.

"I don't know, Vito. I tried to go, but I couldn't. Maybe it's the pride. Maybe it was me still thinking that I thought I knew better and that you're about to make a mistake. I did a lot of things wrong. When your mom died, I didn't know how to raise you. It scared me. I had to get married to give you a mother."

"That's so unfair."

"I know..." he said. "I care about Eloisa. But I don't love her the way I loved your mother. I believe that you only get that kind of love once in your life... and I already got mine."

I remained silent as I looked at him.

I was really a hypocrite.

Through and through.