Kitty and Wolf

I was running. Running from them. My allies had turned against me and tried to use me as an experiment. Of course I agreed. I thought I could trust them. They were my friends. The only ones I had, but they looked down upon me and tried to do away with me. It wasn't supposed to work, but it had, and now I was running for my life.
        I turned a corner and sprinted down the dark alley. I hadn't noticed it was fenced off, but it didn't matter because there was a small hole in the corner. I dragged myself through the gap and ran until I could hardly breathe. I knew they couldn't follow me unless they jumped the fence, but even if they did I would be too far gone by then to be found. I walked the streets until I came across the park I played at when I was little.
        huh, I guess I've grown a lot over the years. I Got a job, my own house, and I even grew a few inches. I don't have the time or the want to meddle about at a playground I went to throughout my childhood. The only thing this park is to me now is a reminder of the foolish life I had as a child. A small, neglected childhood I must admit. But now I stand here, looking up at the slide and the swing set. Even the wood chips are bigger than my hands. Actually I guess there not hands anymore, but paws.
        Leaving the playground I dragged myself over too the bushes and laid down.
        My life was ruined. Everything good in my life turned into knives and stabbed me through. I knew that. I couldn't go home unless I wanted to be caught. I know they would look for me there. Everything I had worked for means nothing now. Why did I agree to be the specimen in that experiment? That was a stupid, stupid decision! And now there's nothing I can do because I'm a..I cant even say it. I'm a, I'm a cat. There, I said it. Maybe this is all just a dream, no, a nightmare. Yes, that's it! I fell asleep at my desk in the lab. When I wake up there will be drool all over my face and hand. I'll be so embarrassed when everyone is laughing at me for falling asleep during the epxirim-W-wait! what am I saying? That experiment wasn't real! I'll just fall asleep in my dream and ill wake right back up. Everything will be fine!

I curled up into a ball and nuzzled my face into my jet black paws.Things would be better when I woke up, I could feel it.

***************

        "Mommy, why isn't that lady wearing clothes?" I heard a small voice say.
        "Molly go over to daddy right now!" Another voice rushed quickly.
Something shook me roughly. My eyes flew open. There was a woman knelt down beside me, shaking me awake.I looked down shocked to see my absence of clothing, but relieved that there was no sign of black fur. I looked at the woman beside me who was wide eyed. My eyes mirrored hers as I realized who this woman was.
        "Carol?" I questioned, though I knew it was her.
        "Don't move, ill bring you something to cover up with,"she replied getting up quickly. "Aaron! take off you coat!"
What in the word is going on? I'm here at the park, but I'm not a cat. Did I hallucinate or something? I pulled my legs up to my chest to hide as much as myself as possible. Just then Carol came around the bushes and handed me a coat.
        "Here put this on,"she said. I slipped the coat she handed me on.
        "Stand up so I can put this around you," she commanded,holding out a blanket. I stood up and she wrapped the blanket around the lower half of my body and knotted it.
        "does Aaron know I'm here?"i asked her quietly.
        "No, I sent him off to fetch some clothes." she replied, "I didn't let him ask questions. Did you want him to know?"
        "No, I didn't want him to know,"I answered."Could you please not tell him that you saw me today?" She nodded. "Thank you. If he asked you if you've seen me lately, please don't ever tell him you did."
        "Alright, I wont," she promised. I went around her to leave, but she caught my arm."Where are you going? You'll get sick only wearing that in the cold. Please wait for the clothes."
"I'm sorry Carol, but I cant wait," I said, pulling away." I have to leave right away. I'll return your coat and blanket later. Thanks." I rushed away from the park and down the street. I know that everything really happened now ,and I accept that, but I have to get out of here. Even if Carol doesn't tell Aaron she saw me, I'm sure they will find my trail eventually. They're probably out looking for me now. I'm glad I built up a plan in case I got in a bad situation like this. I strode into the bank and took all the money I had in my safe with me, along with a small slip of paper. Rushing out of the bank I went down the next block and got some decent clothes. Nothing that would draw attention to me, just a pair of jeans, shirt and a coat. I went to a payphone and slipped the paper out of my pocket. I dialed the number written under the name 'William'..
        "Hello?"A voice on the other line answered.
        "William, its Kathrine Lucas," I told him." I need your help."
        "Where are you?" He asked.
        "At the payphone on 34th street," I replied. I waited for him to answer. "Hello?" I looked at the phone in my hand. He hung up on me. He was supposed to help me! What do I do know? I stepped out and put my head in my hands. Great, this is just great. A hand reached out and grabbed mine harshly and was dragging me along. I tried to get away, but the hand just got tighter.
        "Let go of"-"Don't make a scene, its just me, Wil," I sighed in relief as I realized I wasn't in any danger at the moment.
        "Where are you taking me?"I asked quietly.
        "Out in the country," He whispered. "We own most of the land past the mountains. Under fake names of course. We'll talk more when we're in the car." We walked around town for about thirty minutes until he got a phone call. All he said was, "got it," then he hung up and dragged me in the other direction. We ended up at a black Mercedes.He looked at the licence plate then nodded to himself.
        "Get in,"he said. I climbed in the passengers side and buckled up. William started up the car and headed down the road. "Alright, now tell me what happened."
        I sighed hesitating."you wouldn't believe me if I told you."
        He glanced at me then back at the road. "It doesn't matter if I believe you or not, you hired me so I'm going to do my job. There was a short pause. "I want you to tell me everything. Starting from the very beginning."
        I took a shaky breath then began to talk."I work at a science lab in the outskirts of town. We were going to conduct a new experiment, but in order to test it, we needed a human specimen. I volunteered since I was the founder of the project.The experiment worked, but when everyone saw what I was, they all turned against me. They wanted to tie me down like a guinea pig and run tests on me. I ran away from the lab and ended up in the local park. I fell asleep there and when I woke up, I was normal again, but I wasn't wearing any clothes."
        "What was the experiment about Ms.Lucas," he replied after some short thought.
        "Please, just call me Kathrine."
        "Alright, Kathrine, what was the experiment about?" I paused and looked at my hands.I could feel William's curious gaze on me. I lifted my head up and looked him in the eyes.
        "The experiment was to turn a human into an animal, and it successfully turned me into a cat." I saw William's eyes widen, then quickly return to normal. He returned his gaze to the road and thought for a moment.
        "I understand. You called me for protection against being used as another specimen. Smart choice. Please relax as we finish our trip to the new house."