Chapter 2 - Private affairs in public places

The way to the terrace was lit with flickering torches, casting shadows that danced across the walls with far more intimacy than any of those dancing in the ballroom. Diana breathed a sigh of relief as soon as she was away from the crowd. It was not that she disliked balls, in fact she had always rather enjoyed them before Maria had married. Before that, in her eyes horrid, event, it had been Maria that their mother paraded around the room, like a prize pig approaching slaughter. Maria had had to simper and smile and nod politely to the obnoxious whitterings of the men that were placed before her. Maria had had to be beyond perfection, while Diana had simply danced. Nobody had minded what she did, she could not be expected to marry before her sister, and therefore had been granted certain, luxurious, freedoms. She had enjoyed comradeship with the young men that obligingly escorted her to the floor, both knowing that she had far too insignificant of a dowry for them to consider her, or for her to expect anything from them. Now it was her turn to smile and simper and curtsey, and she feared that she would bear it far worse than her sister had.

It was cold outside, the night having bid the day farewell and taken its place nestled over the earth. Diana wrapped her arms around her, shivering slightly as she enjoyed the calming freshness of the air. The terrace was less brightly lit than the house, but a few low burning torches flicker in their plinths. From beyond the steps sprawled a grand garden that was in obscurity apart from the silhouette of the well kept hedges. Diana smiled to herself, how many possible scandals had occurred in the secret depths of that maze?

In a darkened corner there sat a small wooden bench, quite out of sight. Diana sat down, determining to stay there until she was discovered, or until it was late enough to leave. The Earl's arrival would hopefully occupy her mother for the rest of the evening. It would most likely occupy all in attendance.

She could have sat there in perfect happiness for the remainder of the evening, had not at that very moment a couple walked out onto the terrace, their voices raised. Diana shrunk back into the corner, hoping to go unobserved, and fearing interrupting a potential lover's quarrel.

"I do not wish to converse with you on this topic." Diana froze, though she had heard it but once before, there was no mistaking the Earl's low, cold voice. The control in it sent a shudder through her body, and she pressed herself further into the protection of the corner, fearing discovery even more. Surely the Earl would not be forgiving were he to find someone eavesdropping on his private affairs. Though she chided herself for taken such interest in gossip, Diana could not help but be curious as to who the other woman was. She stood opposite the Duke, and was therefore completely obscured by his broad frame.

"Whether you wish to or not, you will hear what I have to say." The woman's voice was distinctly older, hoarse in the way that voices becomes after they reach a certain age. His mother perhaps? She had not heard her speak, but could not imagine any other woman that would dare address so intimidating a man in such a direct manner.

"And what, pray tell me, is that?" Each word was enunciated venomously. Diana shivered again, pitying the person on the receiving end of so harsh a tone.

"You must marry. It is now up to you to maintain our reputation and good name. You cannot continue galavanting around the country in the manner that you have been want to do. Your brother and I ignored your rakish behaviour, trusting that one day you would make the decision to reform on your own. You no longer have the luxury of time. You are now the Devereux heir, and must act accordingly." Diana was holding her breath, completely engrossed in the scene playing out in front of her. She could not imagine even a stubborn mother convincing the Earl to matrimony if he had a mind not to.

"Go back to the party mother. Isabella will be missing you." His mother seemed to decide not to push him any further, and Diana heard the slow steps indicating her return to the ballroom. The Earl, however, did not follow his mother back into the house.

His frame was rigid, and the faint torchlight showed the silhouette of his clenched fists. He started pacing angrily back and forth along the terrace. Diana felt her pulse quickening in fear that he would come too near her hiding spot and discover her. He strode near where she sat, not glancing in her direction. Then, as if the anger was not content merely with this display, he let out a bark of frustration and kicked a large ceramic plant pot near the bench. The plant pot tumbled over with a loud crash, and by instinct Diana squealed in shock, and then, realising that this had revealed her, cursed loudly.

The Earl spun towards her, and though she could see nothing of his face, she could imagine the fury that may be viewed were one to see it.

"Who is there." The question was a demand not a request, and there was a dangerous edge to his voice. Diana realised that there was no point in trying to conceal herself any longer. Trying to gather any semblance of dignity that she could muster, she got to her feet and moved into the light. She forced herself to meet the Earl's gaze, refusing to be cowed by him. Once she did, she wished that she hadn't. His eyes were stormy, flashing with tiny flecks of amber that made him look like an angry lion. Diana gulped, realising that in this scenario, she was the prey. Had they been in the ballroom, she would have thought to curtsey to her social superior, but outside and alone in the dark, all thoughts of decorum vanished from her mind.

The Earl narrowed his gaze, and stepped closer to her, so that she had to tilt her head back to continue meeting his gaze. "And what is a young lady doing prying on private matters?" He hissed.

"Perhaps," answered Diana coldly, irritated by his clear attempt to intimidate her further. Perhaps even more annoyed that it was working. "You should not conduct such private matters in a private place."

The only indication that he was surprised by her boldness was the almost imperceptible twitching of the muscle in his clenched jaw. "Perhaps," He spat "You should not be cowering in the shrubbery late at night. Alone. Someone may suspect something." Diana bristled at the insinuation.

"I desired some fresh air. The ball was a little crowded for my taste. I do not believe there is anything suspicious about that, your grace."

"And yet, here you are, alone, with a man that is neither your brother nor your father." She drew her shoulders back and glared at him.

"It is a disagreeable state I will admit, perhaps I would prefer the stuffiness of the ballroom over this." He laughed lightly, and Diana ignored the tingle it sent down her spine.

"Far more desirable indeed, why be with one man when you can have you toes trodden on by ten?" He was teasing her, and Diana did not know how to respond. So she merely nodded curtly and made her way back into the ballroom. Only realising later what a grave social faux pas she had committed.