A New Day

Beep, beep, beep, the alarm went off. I sighed, it's Monday, school.

"Oh" I moaned, "just a little more sleep."  But I knew that I couldn't stay in bed; I would be late (again).

"Morning sleepy head!" my mum sang in her high-pitched voice.

"Come on, Amber, remember what happened last time?" That got me out of bed like a bullet. It took me less than one minute to get changed and eat my breakfast.

"Wow, you're getting faster every day..." she murmured.

"Why, what's wrong with me?" I frowned.

"It's a teenager thing honey," she said quickly as she squeezed me tightly, "it'll pass."  Somehow I didn't believe her as much as I should have.

"Bye mum!" I yelled as I ran out.

"Don't run out there, okay?" she said.

"I know mum" I assured her; I was used to her being so careful, it started last year when a car accident left me in a coma. I shuddered involuntarily.

The drive to school went by quickly, and before I knew it I was surrounded by my friends. There was too much noise to hear them all, so I simply nodded and smiled at them until first period.

"Wait a second, what do we have for first and second?" I asked Jimmy, one of the only boys of the group.

"Umm, History then Maths" he sighed happily.

"Oh no, please no" I groaned, staying awake in History was hard enough, but then we had to have Maths too.

"It's not that bad." He said, obviously not approving of my reaction.

"Hmm" I replied distantly.

But my eyes were on the new kid, Michael. In a way, I felt sorry for him, alone like that. But when I looked closer I could understand why people were avoiding him. Even though his natural beauty was flawless, he was staring intensely into the eyes of every passing girl with a disappointed expression, as if he were trying to see something in them that just wasn't there.

He had perfectly pale chalky skin with beautiful green eyes surrounded by long thick eyelashes. His features were complimented by short tousled black hair.

He turned and stared at me, and I realised that he had noticed that I was checking him out. His eyes widened, and at that very moment, a chill went down my spine; run, run while you still have the chance, go, get away from him NOW, he's not right... My pulse quickened and I stumbled into class.

I knew that I should have been paying attention during class, but as my teacher's lecture on King David droned on and on, I couldn't help but think of what had just happened.

Firstly, he had stared at me, which was creepy.

Secondly, he wasn't disappointed, like when he stared at the other girls, but looked in awe. I made the decision to avoid him as much as possible, but was it achievable? I didn't know, but what I did know was that he was in my Maths class.

What am I going to do?

What if he approaches me?

What do I say?

How do I react?

And how do I get away?

My thoughts lingered on the last question, hoping that I wouldn't need to make a run for it.

The bell startled me, had it really been an hour, already? I started to panic.

I can't be ready, I'm not, and what am I going to do?

I quickly made the decision to ignore him, but try to find out as much as possible about him.

I walked to class quickly, keeping my eyes peeled for anything out of the ordinary. As a precaution, I kept as much of my friends as close as possible to me to avoid any possibility of contact with him.

It took me a minute to realise that I was already inside the classroom, and that I had accidentally bumped into him.

"Sorry." I mumbled as I handed the teacher my homework and sunk into my chair. As he walked past me, he handed me a note; common sense told me not to open it, but should I? I wondered. Out of curtsey, I did.

I'm sorry that I scared you before, I didn't mean to. I swear I wasn't doing anything bad. Can I talk to you after class? Face to face? I'll be behind the old portable language trailer.

I must admit, I was shocked. And not to mention scared beyond explanation. My mind was going crazy, switching between excuses and reasons to not go.

Eventually, I decided to see him, ask what the hell his problem was and if he didn't give a good enough reason, I would slap him. But things didn't go as planned...The bell rang.

I walked to the language trailer alone, which I admit was stupid. He was leaning against the wall with his back to me. He must have heard my footsteps, because he started to talk.

"I'm sorry if I freaked you out before, I didn't mean to." He said confidently, turning around and looking into my eyes.

"I don't care. I want you to stay the hell away from me, understand?" I said angrily. His eyes widened for a moment, then went back to their normal size.

"This isn't right, she shouldn't hate me..." he murmured.

"Then what am I supposed to do?" I raged.

"Rather the opposite." He said quietly, not looking away. For a moment, he looked disappointed.

"Well, good for you." I rolled my eyes and walked away.

But I could still hear him.

"The Blood Queen is here, all I need to do is retrieve her."

As soon as I turned the corner I ran, from what, I wasn't sure.

What the hell just happened?

I'll tell you what happened, HE'S A FREAK!!!

I ran to the office and signed an early leave slip. Escaping was my only chance. As I climbed in my car, I began to calm down. I drove home, calling mum to tell her that I felt sick, and was coming home.

I turned the radio on, but there was nothing good on, so I played my iPod. I relaxed further. The drive home was an hour long, so I had time to think.

What do I do? Do I tell mum?

What is 'The Blood Queen'?

Why and when is he going to retrieve it?

Why am I supposed to like him? (Self-absorbed weirdo)

WHY ME!?!

Then it clicked; not what is 'The Blood Queen', but whom? I answered that one too.

Me.

Another question resurfaced in my head.

Why me? WHY ME!?!

He wasn't acting normal, like a person. But this thought brought up the most disturbing question yet.

Then what is he?