Chapter Twenty-six ⭐ 💚

Comincia dall'inizio

I thought she threw them away once her closest friends gave her the cold shoulder?

Vincent's eyes grew and he nodded his head. Laura asked him to hang out with the popular kids. That's a rare invite. "Of course. Why wouldn't I?"

She nodded her head. "Yeah, epic. But I don't know what they're doing, let's go find out,"

She rose to her feet and watched him open his bag and placed his notebook in the bag. He didn't even bother to zip up because he was that excited. He jumped up and Laura led the way, leaving me alone.

I looked at Vincent's bag, there was a Polaroid picture that looked like it could be Kin, I found that strange and grabbed the picture. He looked at the picture, Kin didn't appear solid and her skin was much bluer than just pale blue.
Her eyes were shining brighter than I've ever seen it shine, it was like the camera revealed her truth. I pulled Vincent's bag closer and saw many more pictures of her and a notebook with a 3D drawing of Kin on it. Titled, Kin The Vampiric Monster.

I shook my head and picked up the book. She looked vicious on the cover, the cover he drew. I remember that Vincent is a very talented artist so I hoped that Vincent didn't draw this. Kin's hands were reached out and her nails sharp, it appeared that she was a giant vampire chasing innocent civilians. My stomach turned, I turned red. I didn't even want to open it, afraid of what I might see.

"Do you know what I'm not a monster syndrome is?"

That's what she asked me. It was the first conversation they we had that I saw Kin In such a fragile state. It changed the dynamic of our friendship. It even changed me, because I wasn't one to ask about others. She openly shared her fear of being portrayed as some savage beast that can't control herself. But she's not a monster, I don't think that. How could Vincent see her as such? He hangs out with her Monday to Friday. They live in the same neighbourhood and walk to and from school together, so how does his brain paint an image that's not real?

He never took the time to truly study her. I opened the book and quickly scanned it. It was about the current vampire killings, and he's accusing Kin of them. Reason being that's she's a bloodsucker and they can't control themselves. It's science.

In it was a cellphone, one I didn't recognise as his. It wasn't locked so I opened it and went to its messages, there were hundreds of messages he sent Kin and others. Harassing him. What I saw made me want to kill him, he should be in prison for violating them.

We aren't monsters. What's this guy's problem?

I went to his gallery. I've never been angry a day in my life, I now know it's because I'm dead. But what I saw made me so mad it brought me to life. Making my blood boil. There were videos of Kin in her room, a hidden camera spying on her. Luckily she has an ensuite bathroom, so she does all her changing in there. But that doesn't change the fact that this is disgusting. It's sick and he should be stopped.

I've never heard or felt the throbbing of my heart banging against my chest. It's something new to me, but the reason it bet kind of spoiled that experience. Took the beauty of it out.

I took the book and all the other pictures taken of Kin, pictures of her laughing or yawning and her fangs showing. Pictures of her drinking blood, in glasses and bottles. It angered and grossed me out, and I felt like he wanted to see Vincent right now.

I packed the things back in his bag and got up and searched for them. Laura's friends are popular and the popular kids hang out by the stairs near the toilets and that's the first place he's searching and just like he suspected, they were there.

"VINCENT!"

Vincent turned and saw me standing there with flared nostrils with my hands curled up in two strong fists. He gulped, excused himself and slowly made his way over to me who started walking on. Vincent followed me until I stopped, I didn't want to be talking to him right where Laura could see them. What if she hears? I don't want to scare her.

"What's your problem?" Asked a confused Vincent.

"I don't..."

"... cut the shit, why are you friends with Kin? And I don't wanna hear the Disney sunshine and puppies watered down truth version, I want the real dark truth,"

Vincent didn't say anything. He just looked at me probably trying to figure out what to know? He looked at the ground and back into my eyes. They're usually described as soulless or cold but this second they didn't exactly seem so dead, they oozed anger. "Because... I like her,"

I scoffed and rolled my eyes. Didn't he have a better lie to tell? I took the pictures and book out from his bag and held them up so that he can see them.

"Jason... why did you take my things?"

"Oh... so we're dodging the truth? Why do you have these and why the fuck are you friends with Kin?" I asked through gritted teeth and hit him with the things with every word I spoke. Like a mother yelling at her naughty kid.

"I'm sorry," he sighed. "I had a hunch that she's a bloodsucker and my hunch was correct,"

"How long have you been spying on the poor innocent girl?"

Vincent scoffed, "ha! Innocent? She's killing people all over Crystal Moon, I wouldn't be surprised if she's also behind these kidnappings,"

I hit him with the things again. It was a reflex because I don't believe in violence. "She's stressing out about the killings, trying to put a stop to it," I hit him again, "she was afraid that people would think it's her, because of what she is. How dare you, Vincent. You don't deserve to breathe the same air she does, I'm telling her,"

"No!" He grabbed me by the arm, "please don't. What if she kills me?"

I furrowed my brows angrily. He still doesn't get it, I hit him with his stuff again, "she doesn't kill, it's not in her nature,"

Vincent shook his head. "You believe that?"

"YES! I'm her friend. I might not know her all that well, but I know what she's capable of. And this ain't it,"

I turned and started walking. "Jason!" Vincent ran after me, "can I please have my stuff back?"

It was a reflex, but I smacked Vincent right across the face and just looked at him for a few seconds before continuing. Human me has rage that he can't seem to control. Luckily, hopefully, this anger will pass and I'll never see angry Jason again.
Vincent stood there and held the side of his cheek, the smack sunk in deeply. It was like walking into a brick wall. My hands don't feel normal, they're much harder than a human's. I could tell he was trying to figure out if I'm a human too. Thought I was the most obvious?

Vincent walked over to the tree, took his school bag and left. Lemon watched him leave in confusion. "What happened to him?" She asked, "his whole face is swollen,"

"What's with you and questions? Can you ever shut up?" I asked. I saw Kin and Paul approaching. They came to school with Vincent but decided to chill over with Beverley.

I walked up to them, "Kin, can we talk?"

She nodded her head and Paul made his way back to the tree. Kin and I watched his body disappear. I averted my attention onto her, her eyes seemed to twinkle I noticed. She had a small smile on her face as she waited for me to start but then it dawned on me. What if this hurts her? What could happen if she heard what Vincent was doing? Painting her as some horror villain, what if she gets depressed? Withdrawn? What if she kills herself? She's too sweet, even though that kidnappings are nothing. This could crush her soul and have her lose faith in humanity. I don't want that, and I don't want to be the cause of it either.

"Um..." damnit, I suddenly felt the need to protect her. When will this human Jason leave? I couldn't let her go through that, "I was thinking that maybe you and I should do something sometime. The ice cream?"

Kin giggled, her cheeks slightly turning pink. She bobbed her head like a bubblehead and couldn't stop. "Oh my gosh... YES!" She cleared her throat and tried to appear serious, "I mean yeah, why not? I'd love to,"