1

Platform 9 ¾. It never fails to astonish. Every morning of September 1st is always the same, this 6th morning no different. There's always big groups and small groups of family members waving off their children, some even cry at the idea that they will not see their offspring until Christmas. There's always first years trotting around nervously unsure of what is to await them once they finally step onto the Hogwarts Express. There's always the damned idea that the same first years will not get sorted into the house of their dreams, will they break the line of Slytherins in their family tree? There's always the hormonal teenagers embarrassed that their mother just kissed them on the cheek in front of all of their school friends. Then, there's always Florence Smith.

She always stands alone. No one to wave her off and wish her well on her endeavours. Florence is a Ravenclaw through and through, her head is constantly stuffed into a book but when she does finally socialise it is often with a witty remark. She doesn't have many friends, she simply does not need them in her eyes. It's not that Florence is unsocial, she has her fair share of acquaintances and always speak to people out of politeness, but she has no real friends. Well she does have one friend, although she is her grandmother so that doesn't really count does it? She chooses not to have friends, not because she thinks she is better than anyone else but because she doesn't have to experience the heartbreak or betrayal that comes alongside it. Florence has had her fair share of heartbreak already, enough to last a lifetime but let's focus on the good today, it is after all the first day back at Hogwarts. A new year, a perfect time for new beginnings.

Looks wise, Florence is rather beautiful. She has thick dark hair, rather tanned skin and her deep brown eyes are almost always shielded with big rounded glasses. Due to her attractiveness she often catches the attention of the male 'species', but it is never anything more than a longing stare as people know of her introverted personality and the lack of knowledge on the girl often causes them to not bother.

She rather does enjoy her own company, that's why it pained her when she saw 3 bodies linger outside her carriage, minutes before the train would leave the platform. Florence nestled her head into the book that she was currently reading and faced her body towards the window of the train trying her best to avoid conversation, as the trio were bickering over who should enter the carriage first.

"Hi, Florence? Ain't it?" The redhead asked who so happened to be none other than Ron Weasley. He belonged to the huge ginger family, known as the Weasleys. The Weasleys can be easily recognised from a crowd, mainly for being the Gryffindor's in hand me down clothing, but nevertheless they are also known to be a family who speaks very highly of each other. Ron was stood next to the famous Harry Potter, the 'boy who lived', the reason the wizarding war ceased and the reason for the death of who shall not be named, and the beautiful Hermione Granger, who similarly to Florence, is a muggle born witch. Despite being muggle born, Hermione Granger is known for being a very talented witch.

"Yes" She peeked from behind her novella, not wanting to seem too rude from her lack of introduction, but simultaneously not wanting to engage in simple chitchat. Therefore, settling for the basic response. 

"We are terribly sorry to interrupt your reading, but all the other carriages are full, would you mind if we stayed in here?" Hermione poked her head around her friend to try and diffuse the awkwardness that had been created via Florences blunt reply. 

"Thats okay" Florence smiled, simply wanting to return to finish her reading of Francis Cassavant's childhood. The trio sat down quietly, not knowing if they should talk or not.

"So, what are you reading? Heroes?" Ron answered his own question, trying to make conversation with the reserved girl.

"It's a muggle book" Florence simply stated without breaking eye contact with the page. She stated this fact as it is very well known that the Weasleys are not muggle born, therefor potentially ceasing any future interaction with the red head due to his lack of knowledge on the muggle world.

For the next few hours, the duration of the train journey, the trio mainly kept their conversations to themselves. There was the odd question from Ron that Florence politely answered, but other than that the Hogwarts Express didn't seem too unbarring, much to her surprise.

"Thank you again Florence, I'm also so sorry for Ron's nosiness" Hermione glared at Ron as they all stood up ready to leave the train.

"No need to apologise, and I'm sure Ron was just trying to not make me feel left out" Florence smiled at Ron as she began exiting the carriage. Ron blushing at her acknowledgment of his kindness.

"See Hermione, I wasn't being rude, I was trying to make a bloody friend" Florence heard them bicker as she exited the train onto the platform.

---

Florence sat at the end of the Ravenclaw table, by her self unsurprisingly, as the annual welcoming feast in the great hall had began, however things were going to be rather unfamiliar this year, despite the recognisable candles floating above everyones heads and the obvious seating arrangement with the Hogwarts professors seated at the high table in front of the 4 house tables; Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Slytherin, and Hufflepuff. The big difference of Florences 6th year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry being that once they had finished their feast of various foods such as mashed potatoes and vegetables etc, Professor Dumbledore stood and announced that Hogwarts was to be hosting the Triwizard tournament. 

Beauxbatons Academy and Durmstrang Institute, are the two other wizarding schools that will be joining Hogwarts later on in the year to take part in the tournament, one person from each school will be chosen to represent them as they all battle out during various difficult tasks to bring home the Triwizard cup and receive a reward of 1000 gallons. 

Florence knew, right off the bat that she would not be participating or even entering this tournament due to her lack of competitiveness and shortage of need to be in the spotlight. 

Professor Dumbledore finally dismissed everyone back to their common rooms once the events of the tournament had been discussed, to Florences excitement she could now be left alone without having to engage in anymore small talk regarding how her summer had been with passing students.

She jumped from her seat at the Ravenclaw table and fiddled with the sleeve of her robe, out of habit, as she began her walk to the Ravenclaw common room. Just as she turned a corner in the hallway outside of the great hall her body collided with another.

"Oh, I'm so sorry I wasn't looking-" she began apologising, still adverting her gaze to the floor, just as she was cut off by the victim mid explanation.

"Watch where you're going next time" She looked up to see who had just stated the arrogant response to be faced with none other than Fred Weasley, one of the ginger Gryffindor clan and renowned class clown joined by his sniggering friend Lee Jordan. He looked down at her, metaphorically and physically due to his gigantic height, with a scowl resting on his face due to her lack of self-awareness.

Florence simply rolled her eyes as a response and walked away, his sense of entitlement had enraged her so she took herself away from the situation and bit her tongue before she said something that would have caused an unwanted scene.

Once Florence had finally made it to the common room, she lounged onto the arm chair next to the fire still fuming over the rudeness of Fred Weasley. She could not wrap her head around how different he was from his younger brother Ron, whom she engaged in polite chit chat with earlier in the day. Nevertheless, Fred Weasley and his twin, George Weasley, were not known to be rude people. In fact the Weasley twins, similarly to their whole family, were known to be fun and easy going individuals. Florence had never engaged with either before so he had no reason to dislike the girl, maybe he had just had a bad day, but whatever it was - it irritated her deeply.