Forty three; Go Your Own Way

Start from the beginning

And there was Finn sitting on the edge of the stage.

"Hey." She said, grabbing his attention. Lyric took a seat beside him, letting her feet dangle. "How are you?"

Looking straight ahead, Finn sighed. "I don't want to talk about it."

"Finn —"

"Quinn cheated on me with Puck and then she cheated on Sam with me." Finn unloaded. Lyric blinked. So much for not wanting to talk. "So, who's to say that she wouldn't cheat on me with Sam."

Lyric glanced over at him. "You really think she'd go through all that trouble of cheating on Sam with you, just to turn back and cheat on you with Sam?" Her brain hurt after trying to put the pieces together. "Why'd you even get back with her if you don't trust her?"

"I don't know." He muttered, half shrugging. Finn messed with his finger. A habit Lyric was all too familiar with. "I thought, maybe, I could fix everything from last year."

Nodding, Lyric pursed her lips together. "Is that a real reason for getting back with someone who hurt you once before?"

"The problem with dating Quinn besides the mood swings," Finn huffed, shaking his head. "is that she's so protective about her feelings. You never quite know where you stand with her."

Lyric gave a half shrug. She pursed her lips together, playing with the charm that dangled from her necklace. "I mean, what girl isn't? It's how we keep from getting hurt."

"You don't do that." Finn smiled down at Lyric. She bit back a smile. "I can always tell what you're thinking."

Playing with a loose thread from her leggings, Lyric looked down. She scoffed quietly to herself. If he could always tell what she was thinking, how was he so oblivious to the fact that she was in love with him.

After a wave of silence crashed over them, Finn glanced at her. "Do you believe it that thing called karma?"

"Yeah."

"Can you explain it to me?" Finn asked sheepishly.

"Sure. It's the law of physics whereby, for example, if you do something to hurt someone well, then the laws of the universe will work against you until you get hurt." Lyric explained to Finn as he listen attentively. She bumped her shoulder against his. "Why? You think karma's coming around to get you?"

Finn huffed. "I don't know. Maybe."

"Well even though that it's a load of gossip, I'm not gonna let you sit here and wallow in self pity." Lyric hopped off the stage, grabbing Finn's arm. "Let's go to Breadsticks."

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

The next day in Glee Club, Lyric was surprised to see April Rhodes standing next to Mr. Schuester. Lyric thought she was still on Broadway doing her all white production of The Wiz because that wouldn't be offensive or anything. Lyric took a seat in between Kurt and Lauren. The minute everyone was settled, the band started to play.

"Now, here you go again, you say you want your freedom. Well, who am I to keep you down? It's only right that you should play it the way you feel it. Listen carefully to the sound of your loneliness."

Lyric smiled as April took the floor. She almost forgot how good her voice was. April might be an annoying drunk, but damn she could sing. Her and Mr. Schue sounded great together.

"Like a heartbeat, drives you mad in the stillness of remembering what you had and what you lost."

Sitting with her legs crossed on the chair, Lyric tapped away to the beat on her legs. She tried to think of anything else besides the cloud of tension that hovered over the club. With a glance around the room, she saw the longing looks that Santana and Artie sent Brittany and the suspicious looks that Finn was giving Quinn.