Prologue

''Stop! Please!''

''Shut up! I will stop when I want! You fool, you can't even do one simple thing. You failed the darn test.''

''I tried my best, dad. I'm sorry. So sorry.''

The man known to be father approaches me painstakingly slow with a sinister look adorning his face. He brought me to the basement today. It's a change from the usual attic, where I sleep on top of an old mattress, The basement is worse though. The cement walls in the basement are molding and the nails and screws on the floor have the intention of hurting anyone that steps in the room. A light bulb hangs from the ceiling but it doesn't work anymore. The heater and air conditioner in here don't work either. I know that my punishment is bad if they moved me to the basement.

''Your best wasn't enough, Aelia. You should have gotten first-class,'' he says as he grabs my hair and pulls on it. I gasp from the pain of my head being yanked back and keep sobbing. I'm lying on the cold tiles of the basement. Nails dig into my back, as I move to try and relieve myself from the pain.

''I don't understand,'' I say as tears stream down my face.

Rushed footsteps are heard behind my dad.

''Darling, the soldiers are pulling up into the driveway. You need to get out of the basement before they enter. We have a reputation to uphold; they can't see you like this.'' My mom advises my dad. She looks at me from behind my father and sneers.

''You have disappointed us, useless child. What will people say? Imagine the headlines: The Daughter of one of the Most Powerful Men in Saudade has Failed the Compatibility Test!'' Disgust coats her voice as she looks at me up and down.''There is going to be paparazzi outside. You could have at least dressed nice.''

I wore my nicest clothes to Ladore, the testing facility. But of course, that wasn't enough for my mother. I wore my red off-the-shoulder satin ballgown. I had to wear a red dress to show off my status as one of the most elite women in the Kingdom of Saudade. Usually, women with high statuses tend to wear dresses and bold colors to make the rest of the citizens aware. After 20 years of age, I've gotten used to it. My mother has trained me to be a lady in every way possible. The way I look. The way I act. The way I speak. This was so I could get a rich bachelor.

My family was running low on money. Dad has been struggling in the family business for the last few years. He needed me to pass the test that determined my status. If I was of high-status I would get money and would be a suitable wife for a first-class businessman.

It wasn't what I wanted at all. I would always watch other teenagers go out and have fun with their friends while I learned table manners or how to walk properly.

For many reasons, I couldn't refuse my parents. They had too much leverage on me. The media would destroy my family name. I love them too much to run away. To tell them no. I thought they loved me too up until a year ago.

My dad would always bring me up into the attic and throw me around until his anger was satisfied. Mom would watch or sometimes just ignore what was happening. I begged and begged, they never stopped. I hid my bruises well away from prying eyes. I had to.

I failed to get a high score on the test on purpose. When someone gets a low score, they are shunned and taken to work in the dirtiest places without food or water until someone comes and gets them for testing. At least that is what I've heard. I knew that it was my way out.

I planned to get a really low score, run away from the soldiers that have come to gather me, and run as far as I can go.

Right now, father was leading me up the basement stairs and into the foyer was. My mom opens the door to reveal two soldiers with over twenty people behind them with cameras.

''We are to take the girl. It would be best if no belongings would be brought with her unless need.'' The buffer and taller guy told my parents, not even bothering to address me. My father takes one last look at me and nods to the soldier.

''Take her.'' Dad sighs.

The soldiers take my arms and push me outside of the house, in front of all the paparazzi. I fake trying to resist the soldiers, hoping they believe I don't want to go as they lead me to their car.

''Mr. and Mrs.Aldaine, how do you feel about your only child's score?'' I hear a woman ask.

''It certainly wasn't expected but we believe in the government. If they think she's a lower class, then so do we.'' My dad responds poshly.

At that moment, the soldier shuts the door preventing me from hearing my mother's answer. As we start to drive away, I look back through the rear windshield to see my parents shut the door of the massive house, the butlers pushing away the paparazzi.

The soldiers take an unknown route after we exit the neighborhood. The movements of the car soothe me and start to lure me into sleep until all I see is darkeness.

When I wake up I find that the soldiers have dumped me in the middle of a marsh with a run-down building close by, all secluded by 4 walls.

''Where am I? What is this place?'' I shout at the soldiers who are picking me up again and dragging me into the building.

''It's your new home.'' The shorter one answers.

As I look around I spot the open door where the car has been driven through. I act on impulse and as soon as the soldiers reach the building, I kick one where the sun doesn't shine and the other I punch in the face. The I run. Run as fast as I can towards the open space. I hear the soldier talk into the walkie-talkie and immediately the door starts to close. I run faster and faster while the door closes more and more.

I manage to slide throughout the little portion of space there was available, just in time.

I get up from the muddy grass and look up to the buildings of Saudade, my home, and run the opposite way.