I stopped and listened as a noise entered my hearing. Looking around i tried to pinpoint it. I barely heard it a low yelp somewhere to the east of me. I turned and ran towards it. Just before i got to far a furry brown mass flew past me landing against a tree. I ran up to it to see a wolf lay there unconscious. I recognised it as one of the kids from school. Duncan, he lay there his chest rising and falling slowly, claw marks across his body and blood matting his fur. I shifted to inspect him better, after looking at him i let out a breath, he would heal ok and be fine. A twig snapped behind me and i spun round. Another shifter was heading towards us. Yes i'm a coward, but this was an unconscious pack member. Getting into what i hoped was a protective stance i stood in front of him. The shifter stood and looked at me "Leave him alone" I demanded. The shifter tilted its head and stepped closer. "Stop" I tried again. The shifter lifted it's head and sniffed. "Alpha blood" It spoke, it's voice softer than the other shifters. I looked at it properly and realised why, it was female yet it was not thin, making her a warrior. "Yours?" She asked looking at Duncan. "My pack member" I clarified. She nodded and smiled making me want to cringe. "Forgive me little Alpha i did not realise he belonged to you" This confused me, why would she care who he belonged to. 

She reached behind her a pulled out what looked like a very old leather pouch before taking a step closer. I growled hoping it was enough, it must have as she stopped. "A balm to help with his healing" She explained holding out the bag. "Why should i trust you?" I demanded. "You shouldn't, but let me help him and i will explain" I shook my head, i knew i shouldn't but something was telling me to. "I want an explanation, she nodded her agreement. I moved out of the way and she knelt in front of him. I watched as she dug into the pouch and pulled out a blob of black, well, gunge i suppose. She smeared it over the wounds and i watched as they started healing up. It was like nothing i had ever seen before, the wounds began to bubble and hiss the skin grew bit by bit until finally all that was left was the blood matted fur. "Explain now" I asked, unable to keep the awe out of my voice. She didn't even look at me as she continued checking over Duncan. "I should not of stepped onto your land, forgive me" She started. "I'm afraid he spotted me, i knew he was young but he tried to take me on. I didn't want to hurt him" This time she did look at me with a smile. "He will make a fine warrior, if trained correctly, he will be your best warrior"

I couldn't argue that, Duncan always put his best into training. "He will be ok soon" She told me. "As for your explanation" She turned her back to Duncan and sat down, i did the same facing her. "Recently there has been a resistance in the shifter world. Some of us are turning against what we are" "What does that mean?" I asked more curious than scared now. "It means that some of us no longer wish to fight with weres, we would rather live in peace. These shifters are breaking away and leaving, we find were lands and hide. Not because we are scared, but because we wish to protect them" I frowned, this has never been heard of before. "I know it was you who met the shifters the other day" I shuddered at the memory. "You met a lord" I nodded. "He had to get you away, that's why he said what he did, he would never hurt you" The way she said it sounded as if she meant something else. "Why is a lord helping us?" I asked. She only shrugged "He is the only one that has rebelled, his father does not know yet, but when he does he will come" I remember the other shifter saying something about his father.  I shook my head, this was way to much information to process. "Tell me something about shifters" I asked wanting to get of topic. She turned and glanced at Duncan, who was still out, but his breathing was a lot better. "Did you know we heal ten times faster than a were?" It was a rhetorical question, but i shook my head. "Your friend and i had been fighting for over an hour" I looked at her, she didn't have a scratch. "Would you like to know how many wounds he inflicted?" I nodded, i was curious to how he survived. She stood up and closes her eyes. Mine were wide as i watched her skin tear in multiple places as if invisible claws were attacking her. Once she finished she turned around and i gasped. So many wounds her back, front, legs, arms and face were covered in wounds. Then just as quick they vanished. "If i had been a were i would have died" She spoke as if impressed. I could only nod.

We heard the cracking of bones and she moved closer to me. We both watched as Duncan became human again. His dark brown hair clung to his bloodied face and his light blue eyes opened looking straight at me. "Justin?" He croaked confused. I went up to him and checked him over. "How do you feel?" I asked he sat up and opened his mouth as if to answer. His nostrils flared and he grabbed me and pushed me behind him growling at the shifter. "Wait" I said grabbing his arm. He looked at me confused. "She helped you" I told him. He looked back at her then at me. "She healed your wounds" It was as if something clicked and he began looking over himself, his eyes wide. "What, how Why?" He stuttered. The shifter laughed. "i did not want to fight you, but you gave me no choice" Duncan growled again and shakily stood up, putting himself between us. "You're a shifter" He growled "You deserved it" The shifter merely tilted her head in agreement. "But killing you would have broken my oath" I stepped out to the side of Duncan. "Thank you for helping him" I spoke up. Duncan turned his head to face me frowning. "Warrior Duncan" The shifter called gaining his attention once more. "You are a good man and a fine warrior, i enjoyed our little play time" With that she knelt on one leg her hands on the ground and tilted her head back exposing her neck. One thing we did know about shifters was that this was a sign of respect and trust. Duncan gasped at the sight in front of him. After a minute she stood up "Little Alpha i would take my advice if i was you, i am never wrong about a warrior" I nodded my head, Duncan really would become a fine fighter.. "Until we meet again" She waved and took of in the opposite direction. Once she was out of sight Duncan collapsed "What was that all about?" He asked me. I gave a half hearted smile "I think you just made a new friend" This caused him to chuckle. "You know i always thought you were a freak, but to make friends with a shifter?" I could see he meant no malice. I sighed. I think you and i need to speak to my dad" Duncan nodded. "And if he asks you were defending yourself you had no idea she meant no harm" He just looked at me. "Duncan can you imagine the tearing into you will get if he found out you were stupid enough to take on a shifter by yourself" Duncan blushed and nodded, his head hanging. "So we'll go with it was a misunderstanding" "Why?" Duncan asked "Why would you do that for me?" I smiled and helped him up.

"Well if a shifter tells me what an excellent fighter you are i am inclined to believe them. Tell me what do you think about joining our war group?" Now Duncans eyes were bulging. "You you would recommend me for training?" He stuttered disbelievingly. I giggled and nodded. "Duncan, shifters heal ten times faster than us" I explained "She was able to show me the wounds you inflicted on her. If she had been a were she would have been dead four times over, think of the damage you could do if trained" I could see Duncan consider it for a moment before shaking his head. "Justin i was the one that started the fight, that goes against me. I was arrogant and stupid" He shook his head "No fighter would do that" I just shook my head with a smile "Would you do it again?" I asked "Hell no" He cried. "Exactly you've learnt your lesson. You just need to work on it" Duncan stared at the ground for a moment. I knew he was tempted i heard he had wanted to to join the war group, it was his dream. "Fine" He conceded "On one condition" I nodded my head happy he had agreed. "We tell your dad the truth" Ok he was crazy "Why?" I had to ask. "Like i said i was arrogant and stupid, if and i mean if they let me in i want them to work on everything that needs to be worked on even that. This is my dream Justin, it's what i've always wanted. But i will not go into half cocked, i want to be the best i can, which means they need to know the truth" I could see the eagerness in his eyes, he really meant what he was saying. I thought about it. I put my arm around his waist and pulled his arm onto my shoulder, he still needed help to get back.

"Ok" I told him "We'll do it your way. But i'll tell you now i think that shifter was right, you really will be one of the best fighters we have ever seen" Duncan chuckled then winced in pain. "I don't know about that" He grunted. "But i will be the best i can" I smiled as we walked back, there was no way i would let my dad refuse him.