A Different sort of Person, in a Normal sort of Place

Jared's POV

My thoughts are interrupted by a voice. "Would you like some more coffee, sir?" I look up. A girl with purple hair, tied back into a braid stands in front of me with a steaming pot of coffee. Around her waist is a rusty orange apron that is folded in half and tied around her waist. She looks no older than seventeen. I look up at her name tag. It reads Delirium.

"Yes. I would love some more coffee." I slide my empty coffee cup closer to her. She pours the coffee up to the rim. "Thank you."

"No problem. Is there anything else I can get you?" The girl, Delirium, looks me in the eyes.

"Um no thank you. I think I am good for now." I smile back at the girl.

Delirium leaves. She walks table to table asking if anyone needs anything. She has such an unusual name...

Delirium's POV

I stand behind the counter, closing up the coffee shop. Most of the lights are turned off, but I have not yet locked the door, nor have I turned the open sign over, so it reads closed. But since it is past ten everyone assumes we are closed. It's just how things work sometimes.

The 'behind the counter' lights are dimmed and music plays softly from the radio by my feet.

As I count the money in the register, the bell at the front of the shop jingles. My counting stops and my head pops up. A guy in a jacket walks up towards to the front counter. I recognize him from earlier. He was writing in a book and listening to music on his laptop.

"Hi, Umm I think I left my notebook here. I can't find it in my bag and this is the last place I left it. It has random doodles on the front and it has my name on the inside." He pauses. His hands dig into the pockets of his old looking jacket. He is wearing the same thing as earlier. Black skinny jeans with holes in the jeans, a shirt that says The Shins, a jacket, and old converse. He also has red glasses and his hair is messed up, but in a sort of way that makes it look neat. "My name is Jared by the way." He adds, as an after thought.

"Okay. I will go look in the lost and found." I turn on the heals of my feet and walk towards the back of the café where the lost and found is kept.

I take the box of lost and found off the shelf and set it on the floor. In the box there are two cellphones, a sweatshirt, a kindle, four wallets, three books, a titanium coffee cup, two scarves, four pairs of gloves, and one leather bound notebook. I snatch it from the box and walk back to the counter, leaving the box on the floor. I'll pick it up later.

Jared's POV:

I watch as the girl turns around and heads toward the back of the room. I notice she is not wearing any shoes. The girl, Delirium, has on socks with the words Sock Whore on them, repeatedly. I chuckle to myself.

A few seconds later, shuffling drifts out from the back room. Then Delirium appears again with something in her hand. She smiles at she sees me looking at the notebook in her hand. Holding the notebook up slightly and waving it around she says, "Is this yours?"

"Yes. It just so happens, it is." I step forward and hold out my hand for my notebook. But the girl with the weird name does not give it to me.

Instead she looks at it and says, "So what to do you write about? Romance? Mystery?" She threatens to flip through the pages. Then her face lights up. "Do you write songs? Because if so, every Wednesday, is open mike night. And if you write poetry, every other Friday night, we have a poetry slam." Delirium place the leather bound notebook on the table. Then slides it across the counter. Leaning on the palms of her hands, she looks at me. "What do you write about?"