Chapter Seven

[Seven]

March 4th, 2014

*Lana*

After Landon leaves Mason and I alone at the kitchen table, I shoot him a look. Blondie shrugs and then rests his elbows on the table. "He's just struggling with it all. It's the first time he's had his wolf since the accident. He's trying to organize all the thoughts and make it through the day without knowing where he's going. It's hard on him, Lana. But he'll get through it, he always does." Blondie takes a sip of his coffee and then looks over his shoulder, towards the stairs.

Two chipper girls dance into the dining area. Natalie gives me a warm hug and takes the seat her brother was in just moments ago. "How's my brooding brother?" She asks, taking a pancake and placing it on the plate Landon never used. She then drinks his orange juice and I just shake my head. She's something else.

"Good morning, Natalie. Do you have anything fun planned today?" Natalie gives me the stink eye for ignoring her. I didn't feel like she needed to know what was going on with him. It would dim her bright mood, and I wasn't about to have Landon be the cause. Plus, Blondie was right. He'd get through this.

"Sarah and I are going to the mall with Mason and Zane." I smile over at Blondie, raising my eyebrows.

"That sounds like a wonderful day for you." I chide. He grimaces at me. Mason cares for Sarah just as much as Landon does for Natalie. He just doesn't project it like Landon does.

Jenny walks out of the kitchen and places another orange juice in front of Natalie and a cup of milk in front of Sarah. "Thanks, Jenny." Natalie says. I grin at Natalie. She definitely isn't like any of the other Alpha daughters that I know of.

"Excuse me." I say, getting up to follow Jenny into the kitchen.

"You'll get me in trouble, Lana." She says, cleaning down the area where she just recently cooked the pancakes. I notice it's only her and Meggy today. Tami must have the day off and Rachel is in Natalie's room, most likely making her bed.

"Landon won't hurt you, Jenny." I lean against the counter next to her, looking down at my hands as I say this. Jenny lifts her head and stares at me for a moment. "Why don't you like him?" Her mouth gapes open for a moment before she shakes her head and continues wiping down the stove.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Jenny, just tell me." She throws her rag in the sink and turns to face me. I take a step back, surprised by her sudden anger.

Jenny crosses her arms. "Landon is a great guy, Lana. You're lucky to have him. But he has done some things that have hurt people."

That catches my attention. What does she mean he has hurt people? If so, I'm sure it was unintentional.

"My mother passed away when I was three. Human hunters were on our territory and shot her. It was just my father and I for a long time. We were able to move on, his duties as a Theta kept his mind off of his loss."

Her father was a Theta... That means she was a Theta as well. A middle class warrior.

"My father died in the battle at the Prowler Pack. Being a fourteen year old orphan, Landon threw me down into the Omega rank. I was never meant to be an Omega, I have the blood of a Theta... It has been in my family for many generations. I'm not saying that Landon specifically targetted me and decided to make me suffer, but I am saying he has made many mistakes. I understand that his accident took more than his sight. I don't blame him for making rash decisions. But it's been four years and nothing has changed. His hatred towards Omega's is sickening."

After what she says, all I can do is stare at my closest friend. I never knew that about her. I never knew she was trained to be a warrior, that she was ranked above an Omega. She seemed so accepting of her position, I never saw her trash talk being an Omega until now.

I grab her arm and pull her into a hug. She wraps her arms around my waist and we embrace each other for a few moments. I'll talk to Landon about this. I will let him know about Jenny's family, about her rightful place as a Theta.

"What Landon did was wrong and I am sorry you have been given an unfair judgement these last four years. I will talk to him, I'll set this right. But I also want you to give him a chance. As you said, that was a tough time for him and he has changed."

Jenny nods her head, pulling away to get back to cleaning. I understand that I do need to leave her alone to finish her chores. I don't want to start something between Jenny and Landon. I want them to be able to see each other for who they really are.

***

I knock on the French doors to Landon's office, waiting for him to invite me in. When he does, I pull them open and he lifts his head when he notices it's me. "Lana. You don't need to knock." I smile softly at that, pulling the doors closed before I walk over to him. He leans back in his chair and opens his arms for me. I place myself in his lap, hooking my arms around his neck. "I'm sorry about earlier. I didn't mean to take my frustration out on you. I'll need to apologize to Jenny as well."

I arch my eyebrow. That was unexpected. "I'm sure she'd appreciate that."

"Also, you don't have to speak on my behalf. I hate knowing that you feel like you have to defend me to your friend. If Jenny has a negative outlook on me, then I believe there is a valid reason behind it. I understand I demoted her to Omega in my rage and aggrivation. I'll give her a place in the Theta section of the west wing and she will train with Mason and Zane to make up for lost time." Okay, now I am completely shocked. Where is this coming from? "Jenny was right. My behavior towards the Omega's is unexplainable and unjust."

"It was just. You were wounded, you were scared." Landon reaches up and places a finger to my lips, shaking his head.

"Don't make excuses for me, Lana. I don't deserve them." I sigh and press a kiss to his finger, hoping to make him smile. He deserves to have someone stand up for him. He deserves to have someone defend him. He deserves to smile and be happy.

I lean down and rest my head on his shoulder. We are silent for a long time, holding onto each other. Landon runs his fingers up and down my side, laying his cheek onto the top of my head. "You're so warm." I whisper. I can feel him smile and I feel butterflies flutter around in my belly. It's a good feeling to be able to make your mate smile.

As Landon holds me, I think about tomorrows ceremony. Tomorrow I will be the official Luna of the Shadow Pack. I wasn't one for big gatherings and having everyone's attention on me. Though it may be a stressful day, I know it will also be one of the happiest days of my life. I will be connected with Landon, I will be able to feel his emotions and we will have a mind link with one another.

I think about my brother, wondering how he is. Was he still working patrol and protecting innocent women from the vile Alpha Castor? Maybe he found his mate, just as I had. All I can think about is how much I wish he was with me. He is my very best friend. He saved my life. He doesn't deserve to spend another second in that awful pack.

"Can you do me a favor?" I ask, pulling away to look down at his beautiful face. His eyes open slowly, revealing his blue, hazy eyes.

"Anything."

"Is there a way to contact the Cossitt Pack? I want to speak to my brother, but I don't want Alpha Castor to know." Landon's eyebrows pull together in confusion as he grabs hold of my wrist. His thumb presses into my pulse. I try to slow the frantic beating by taking calming breaths.

"I'll send a messenger with a letter. I'll be sure that he gives it straight to your brother..." I smile, letting out a happy sigh. "Who is Alpha Castor to you? Why don't you want him to know?"

"He's just my old Alpha. I didn't exactly leave with permission. I don't want him to come thinking he can take me away." Landon lets out a small growl and wraps his arms around my waist.

"No one is taking you away. Ever." I lean down and press a kiss to his lips.

"Never."