Chapter Fifteen

[Fifteen]

March 10th, 2014

*Lana*

I watch with wide eyes and a gaped mouth as my mate tackles my brother to the ground, sinking his teeth into his shoulder. Trent lets out a horrifying scream that shakes me to the core. He shoves on Landon, trying to get him off so he could shift into his wolf as well. 

Trent manages to get his feet in between them and with a strong thrust, he throws Landon off. Landon lands on his feet, snarling at my brother who bolts outside, shifting into his black wolf. Trent barely has his wits when Landon lays another attack on him, pinning him to the ground and biting into his neck. Trent thrashes under him, clawing at his stomach and sides, but it has no affect on Landon. He is an Alpha and Trent was only an Omega, promoted to a Theta. 

I run out after the two wolves. "Landon, stop!" I scream. He doesn't listen. He's killing my brother. "Landon! You're killing him!" I move to intervene but Blondie grabs my arm, shoving me back a few steps. He walks towards the feuding wolves, being sure to keep a safe distance.

"Landon, this isn't you. It's the moon. You need to fight through this, Landon. You need to calm down." Blondie says, his tone soothing yet authoritative. "I know it's been four years, but we've worked on this. Remember? You don't want to hurt him. You don't want to hurt Lana." At the mention of my name, Landon eases off. He keeps my brother pinned, yet his grip on his neck isn't fatal. I watch the rise and fall of his chest as he heaves, trying to regain focus. 

"That's good. Good. Keep breathing, Landon." Blondie says. I look over at Natalie to see her hugging Sarah, tears rolling down her cheeks. I can't imagine how terrified she must be right now. "Can you release Trent, Landon?" I turn my attention back on my mate, seeing the conflict within his eyes. There is so much regret and guilt, yet an immense amount of anger. 

"Landon? Look at me, Landon." I whisper, walking over to stand in his line of sight. His beautiful blue eyes scrutinize me, flickering between pain and rage. It's as if there is an internal battle. My Landon against this enraged Landon. "It's okay. You're going to be okay." I give him a soft smile, taking a few steps closer. I notice him tensing. 

"Lana, careful." Blondie warns. 

I ignore him, continuing my trek towards my mate. "It's okay. I love you." I reach a hand out, slowly extending it. As it nears his head, Landon growls around the chunk of neck in his mouth. I ignore his warning, sinking my fingers into the thick fur of his scruff. 

Landon stands frozen for a few moments, looking at me with wide eyes, scared he will attack me if he makes any movement. But he slowly retracts his teeth from Trent's neck and lifts his head so it's level with mine. 

"It's okay, Landon." He shakes his head, stepping off of Trent. His eyes are wide as he takes in my bloody brother. He begins to panic, backing away from us and into the forest. "Trent's okay." I tell him but he just looks at me with horror-struck eyes. 

What did I do? His voice is shaky, scared. 

"It wasn't you Landon. It was the moon." Blondie says. I look over at him. What does he mean that the moon did it? 

No! I did this, Mason. I can't control it . No matter how much we prepare and practice, I'll never be able to control it. I'm so sorry, Lana. Landon gives me one last look before he turns and runs into the forest, disappearing as the trees swallow him. 

"What the hell was that?" I hear Jesse ask from behind me. Trent gets to his feet, shaking his tangled coat. His eyes meet mine and he offers a smirk before he heads into the house to change. Trent's strong. I know he will be able to overcome this. 

I turn my attention to Blondie who walks over and loops an arm around Jesse's shoulders. "Whenever it's a full moon, Landon loses control of his wolf. No one knows why, but it's as if the animal in him surfaces and pushes Landon back. He gets angry very easily, it's like a switch." I let out a tiring breath, running my hand through my hair. 

That makes sense. No wonder he was such a jerk yesterday. It was very non-Landon-like. He is normally so calm and reasonable. 

"How long does it usually last?" I ask Blondie, checking to see if Natalie was okay but she wasn't anywhere to be seen. She must have gone back inside with Sarah. 

"Three days. He should be calming down tomorrow or the day after that. Landon prefers to be in his wolf form during this, so he may not be back until the rage is gone." Jesse hooks her arm in mine and offers me a gentle smile, leading me into the house. I cast a look over my shoulder to look at the forest, willing Landon to come back out. I want to apologize, to tell him that we will get through this together. 

Is he really going to sleep on the forest ground all by himself? That sounds so lonely and cold. 

"Don't even think about, Lana. He is unpredictable in his wolf form. It's best you leave him be until he comes back on his own." I squint over at Blondie. Shouldn't it be against the law to go into the Luna's mind? Blondie arches and eyebrows, searching for my understanding. 

I nod my head. "Okay. I won't." 

I block my mind from him, silently promising myself that I will go find Landon and make things right. Landon won't hurt me. He doesn't have it in him. No matter how much his wolf tries to take control, Landon will never let anything happen to me. 

Plus, he deserves to have someone care for him when he needs it. He doesn't deserve to sleep outside on his own, struggling with his thoughts and emotions. 

With Castor on the move, it's not safe for Landon to be out so close to the territory boarder alone. He will not be able to hold off Castor and his warriors, no matter how powerful and enraged his wolf is.

**

At midnight, when everyone is asleep and the house is quiet, I gather a few blankets in my arms and a flashlight. I tiptoe down the stairs and out the backdoor, being sure to close the door silently behind me.

I sprint into the forest, waiting until I'm hidden by the trees to connect my mind with Landon. There is a tug at my heart and I follow my instincts as they pull me further into the forest. I soon get on a barely trekked path, recognizing it as the one Landon and I walked the other day.

I smile as I reach the spot where we spent the day, seeing him laying as his wolf on the ground in a ball. Sensing me, he lifts his head and looks at me, letting out a low growl. It was only a warning. He doesn't want me here. I ignore him and throw a blanket down, laying it out. I sit on it, patting the spot beside me. 

Landon looks at it, shaking his head. "Well, I'm not leaving. So you can come lay by me or we can both freeze tonight. Your choice." I grab another blanket, placing it on top of me as I lay on my side, staring at Landon. 

He has an internal battle, contemplating if he should risk it or not. "I'm really cold, Landon." I whimper, faking a shiver. Landon whines, crawling over to take his spot beside me on the blanket. I smile, draping the comforter over him and laying my head on his stomach. I sink my fingers deep into his fur and let out a sigh. 

His blue eyes shine in the darkness, staring at me as I cuddle into his warmth. I see the fear and I know he's scared he will hurt me. "I trust you. Now go to sleep. Tomorrow is a new day." I lean over and press a kiss to the top of his head.