In The Arms Of The Better Lover, The Better Brother (7)

Kristin Scott Thomas over there, she's the queen.

******************

 “Boys,” the king said, his face bright with smiles. “Boys...” he closed his eyes. “Sons, if I may.”

“Yes, your majesty?” Benjamin said with a bow.

“I have so many things to tell you and only, exactly, three minutes to tell them. Gallop right through them, I will. So, firstly, the princess is in pristine condition and I am very proud of you both. You made excellent time, and still brought her back seemingly as full of life and energy as ever before! You are absolutely amazing! Perfect!” he leaned over his desk to, literally, pinch both our cheeks. “She’s is beautiful and she spoke only in the highest honour of both of you when I was asking her about her stay! Benjamin! She said that you were a perfect specimen of chivalry, the life of her on the trip.” Casually Benjamin flickered a smug smirk at me. “That you allowed her to ride on your horse time, made good heartfelt conversation that kept her from having to think about the horrors of her excursion, and that you were always offering to help her and protect her from everything that crossed her path!

“And Benigno! She told me that you were the mentality and drive of her survival.” It was my turn to smile wickedly at my brother. “She said that you were always there for her for strong, deep, and meaningful conversation. She said that you changed her mentally and helped her learn a little more about herself. She also said that you were very specific and gentlemanly in your setting up of the sleeping arrangements, allowing her the tent and you two the grass.

“Boys! Boys,” he added more lovingly. “Have you any idea how much you saving her means to me? She is everything to me. Not only is she the heir to my throne but she is my favourite and most delighted daughter. I know it is generally considered wrong to label your children but she truly is worth the risk for me. She is the reason I know I haven’t screwed up as a man. A king, mayhaps, but a man, no. She is the emblem of my existence.

And, that is why, at this precise time, thirty three seconds after the third minute that follows the ticking the ticking of the third increment of ten on the old grandfather clock at three that I propose to you exactly that, a proposal. Deal. A completion, you may have. I have to open positions. Two options. One is of the highest regard; the opportunity to be my right hand man. My first advisor. Everything you say on a matter will fall and be taken with great consideration and I will love and cherish you love a brother or a son in endless numbers of ways as you guide me to my glory.”

This my calling. This was it! The chance to be everything I had ever wanted! My heart was racing right out of my chest so quickly that I almost forgot that another position stood to be filled. It wasn’t only the king’s advisor.

“The other position is one I hold in even higher regard; the opportunity, the blessing, the magnifique of being husband to my daughter, Aunnabelleiiyna,” were I not in the presence of the king, I would have let slip a groan. Without a doubt I would be doing my worst in the competition of sorts to appeal to this latter option. “One job allows you control of my word and allotment and the other allows you the handle of the thrown alongside my darling daughter for all of her rule or for however long you may live. Please realize that I hold two things as more important than my own life in this world and this is my kingdom and my daughter so with either one I will be allowing you into my heart. You will become child to me either way and I will love you for all of eternity for what you have done.

“I must thank you again, my children. For this way I can tie such beautiful blood as yours into my family. So, what do you say boys, three months exactly time from the moment I spoke of early, we meet, precisely here accompanied by a guest, Aunnabelleiiyna? She will be the judge of who marries her; I’d have it no other way. So in saying that this is a competition, I’m saying that’s it’s a competition to win her heart.

“Have at it boys, the competition I mean," he said without waiting to here our response to his question. "Make your mark known. Woo her. Make her feel loved and special. On you two and I am placing my entire kingdom. Can you take it?”

“Absolutely, your majesty,” I said, extending a hand to him, grinning widely. Advisor. Advisor. How amazing would that be?

To be advisor would complete my world.

Now, how to make Aunnabelleiiyna fall into the arms of the better lover, the better brother, was my next question because I sure as hell didn’t own them.  

***************

So.....Yes. This is like one of the most important chapter of the whole book. Lol. Hope you liked  it and if you did, vote! If you didn't tell me in a comment!