In The Arms Of The Better Lover, The Better Brother (9)

Freddie Highmore is to the right, he's the little brother, Collin (you don't know his name yet though.)

****************************

Actually making Aunnabelleiiyna fall into my brother’s arms wasn’t hard at all. After listening to him tell me every faucet of the brilliance of this reward I smiled and told him that I was sure he and her would be very happy together.

“Not planning to even attempt to put up a fight?” he asked, making himself comfortable in my bed.

“Why would I? I don’t think her an amiable person.”

“Watch yourself Benigno,” he teased lightly. “That’s my betrothed you speak of.”

“Glad you realize it,” I rose to pour myself a glass of brandy. “I do not dislike her, nor do I hate her, however, I do not enjoy her. I believe we have come to a mutual agreement that we are not in a position to ever stand in friendly acquaintanceship but will not rouse strife amongst ourselves. However, with her casual attitude and gentle humour I believe you would both be suited very well for each other. You’ll be able to stand as more than arranged maritables; you will have pleasure in one another’s presence and may even come to love with time.”

“Oh brother how you speak with such philosophical nature!” he exclaimed, throwing his head back. “Everything in the world isn’t so deep and painful, you do realize this as well, right? Do you spend your waking hours brooding life? Tell me.”

“More or less.”

“How ridiculous. You should just...” he shook his head. “You should just let loose and love what’s in front of you. Enjoy life. Don’t just see the darkness it! Love what you have and don’t let anyone stop you from getting what you don’t! Oh Benigno!”

“You act as if life is a passing of fun and games. It’s not. It’s a long, endless, painful process in which you get hurt, beaten, and have to do a lot of things you would really wish you don’t have to do.” I refilled my glass. I didn’t really want to feel supper whenst it came.

“Only if you make it so!”

“I make it no different that it falls.”

He laughed lightly. “You’re so stubborn sometimes. Growing up I thought it’d change but here we are, grown men and you still can’t bring yourself to allow me to share my toys with you. Benigno, brother, I’m not locking you out in the snow in this one. You don’t have to fold your arms crossly and sit on a log whilst the snow collects on your shoulders.”

“I don’t believe you to be. I’m locking myself out. Why? The sun’s brighter outside. And it’s not snowing.”

“It’ll be snowing in a matter of weeks. I know you’re going to make this into a conquest to avoid falling by hiding on the other side of the kingdom but frankly, when you come back you’ll take a nap then wake and realise that we’re up to our navels. You won’t be able to escape it. Both literally and figuratively.”

“I think I’ve misjudged you, Benjamin,” I said, throwing back the rest of the glass. “I also took you a bit of a fool but you’re not. Pity as such, you’d make a great one, but there’s a lion’s heart breadth of knowledge inside of you.”

“Knowledge. Courage. Lust.” He shrugged.

“If I was dying, I might, just might, now choose to call upon you to be my saviour.”

“Don’t sell me shortcomings, brother; you still probably wouldn’t.”

I laughed loosely, hiding myself behind the glass a little. The alcohol was hitting, “Isn’t it the truth too?”

“If the world were perfect it wouldn’t be so. Now give me that glass before you’re so inebriated that you won’t be able to enjoy the splendours of eating a meal with the royal family.” He took the glass from, swigging the last of it and setting it aside on my dresser as he walked with a slower gaunter over to the window.

“That’s my aim, of course,” I muttered setting on the bed to run my hands through my hair.

“What put you off to her? Her charm? Her wit? Her beauty? Why don’t you care for her lustre?” he put a hand on the window sill on either side of him, leaning against it casually.

“What put me off to her? How about her boldness in call-“I stopped myself short. I had promised to Aunnabelleiiyna and myself that I would let this one pass. It was only fair to her. Princess as she was. “Her boldness in running away from her duties. Her boldness in letting herself befall horrible fates on trite stupidity. Her boldness to insult and try me.”

“Oh yes and the oh might Benigno must always be feared.”

“That is not so. I needent be feared but she needent also treat me so insubordinately.”

“She is the princess, brother,” he chuckled, parting the curtains softly to peer out of them, harsh grey light breaking the gentle white that had been passing through the drapes.

“That’s not an excuse. Hell, the king treats us like he’s ready to kiss us. I’ve never been touched my one man so much in one day that I wasn’t wrestling with.” Not to mention he was busy taking both of us into the family already.

“The king is one hair shy of a nut case. A magnificently boisterous and giving one but a nut case nonetheless. I really love his attitude toward everything, don’t you?” he asked, coming over to me to nudge my shoulder.

“I think he is extremely generous but that he’s probably putting too much on the line with this. What if we turned out to be murders?”

“If I was a murderer, I would have your head in a jar on my mantle labelled, ‘what was,’ already.”

 “That you for the reassurance. I feel much safer sleeping one room down from you now.” I rolled my eyes.

“You should. I’m really quite the pleasant guy.”

“I’ve noticed!”

“Look at the hour, brother!” he called suddenly. “It’s supper already.”

“Who dines prior to six?” I asked, edging towards the dresser where the brandy was setting.

“The king and queen that’s who. Aw come on my little likeness. True your face is darker than mine but you mustn’t act it so! Smile, Benigno. New opportunities await you.” He knocked my chin with the curve of his forefinger.

“Act like you do and I might lose my meal and I haven’t even had it.” I rolled my eyes at him.

“Delight it Benigno,” he drawled, fixing his straight hair in the mirror above the dresser by the door.

“I do,” I muttered, taking a huge swig of brandy straight from the bottle. “How do I ever.”

“Oh I’ll shove this bottle up your rear if you don’t leave the alcohol be, brother,” he snapped taking the bottle from me and whisking me away, promptly pushing me down the hallway at almost a run. “There is no reason whatsoever to numb yourself to the delights of this meal.”

“I can name one.”

“Oh, and what’s that?”

“I’m sure you can guess.”

“Try me,” he said, as we came around the last turn before the dining hall.

Just as the doors opened before us, thirty feet tall and marvellous I took a deep breath, keeping my head held high, and said solemnly, “Aunnabelleiiyna.”

**********************************

Had to put in some brotherly banter for characterization. :)

Comments. ?